Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Christian Rosenberger <pi...@gmx.de> on 2004/05/12 09:58:38 UTC

Prefill form with Woody and XML without binding?

Hello!

I have i question regarding the prefilling of a form using Woody.

The data to use in the form is placed in a XML file, which I get by a Java
class.

So I want to use this XML file to fill in values in the form and then show
the form to the user.

Need no overhead of the Woody binding framework, because for updating the
values a seperate Java class is needed.

Or can I do this flow:

Java class delievers XML (also possible to use this class as generator) =>
show Form => user changes values => get updated data in model => write to
XML file => send XML to transformer (my second Java class which is
responsible for sending the xml data)

What would you suggest to handle this flow?

Thanks,
Christian

Re: Prefill form with Woody and XML without binding?

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Because the Woody binding framework uses JXPath, it can bind to java
objects or to XML documents. Look at the example that binds to an xml
document. It looks like what you need.

Upayavira

Posted by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org>.

Christian Rosenberger wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have i question regarding the prefilling of a form using Woody.
>
> The data to use in the form is placed in a XML file, which I get by a
> Java class.
>
> So I want to use this XML file to fill in values in the form and then
> show the form to the user.
>
> Need no overhead of the Woody binding framework, because for updating
> the values a seperate Java class is needed.

I don't see why this would count as overhead?

there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to e.g.

1/ install binding1, load from xml1
2/ install binding2, load from beanX
3/ showform
4/ install binding1, save to beanY