Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> on 2003/05/06 19:25:28 UTC

Re: [OT] Really Off Topic question - CVS

"Joao Batistella" <es...@ptinovacao.pt> wrote in message
> Sorry for the off topic question but I gues that many of users here use
CVS.
> So, I would like to know if CVS has a feature that I like in CMVC (an old
> IBM version system).
> With CMVC if write a tag like the following in my source code.
> Version %I% %W% %U%
> CMVC automatically replace the %I% %W% and %U% by current file version,
> date, and so on.
>
> I would like to know if CVS has some feature like this because I dont't
like
> to write tag version in my source code by hand.

Yes, CVS does have such a feature, and we use it in the Struts code base.

Here is the official CVS documentation for what is called "keyword
substitution":

http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs_12.html#SEC98

If you take a look at a Struts source file, you'll see that we use $Header$,
$Revision$ and $Date$ (so you can see what they do, as well).

--
Martin Cooper