Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2013/11/05 01:28:36 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Commons Pool 2.0 RC4 as 2.0

A change to the component id to pool2 required a new RC. The only other
change was some improvements to the Ant build.

The Pool 2.0 RC4 is available for review here:
  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/ (r3419)

 Maven artifacts are here:
  https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-073/

Details of changes since 1.6 are in the release notes and changelog:
  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/RELEASE-NOTES.txt

http://people.apache.org/~markt/dev/commons-pool-2.0-RC4/changes-report.html

 The tag is here:
  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_0_RC4/
  (r 1538827)

 Site:
  http://people.apache.org/~markt/dev/commons-pool-2.0-RC4
  (Broken links to Javadoc versions expected)

 KEYS:
  http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS

  Please review the release candidate and vote.
  This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now

  [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
  [ ] +0 OK, but...
  [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
  [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Cheers,

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Pool 2.0 RC4 as 2.0

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 11/7/13 1:38 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 06/11/2013 21:37, Phil Steitz wrote:
>> My +1 below stands, but here is something for the RM (Mark) and
>> others to consider.
>>
>> Following the directions on the main site page, I realized that the
>> change in r 1537253 to break the cyclic dependency between .pool2
>> and .pool2.impl made my instructions incorrect.  I did not fully get
>> the implications of this change when it was committed and I failed
>> to make the appropriate change to the site doc.  I can update the
>> site post-release no problem; but I wonder now if we might want to
>> consider moving DefaultPooledObject up to .pool2 so that the simple
>> (now incomplete) approach documented on the main page can work.
>> Otherwise, you always have to add the wrap implementation, which I
>> bet in the vast majority of cases will end up just being what
>> makeObject did before the change:
>>
>> @Override
>>  public PooledObject<Foo> wrap(Foo foo) {
>>     return new DefaultPooledObject<Foo>(foo);
>>  }
>>
>> I get that DefaultPooledObject is an impl kind of thing; but so
>> actually is BasePooledObjectFactory.
>>
>> Apologies - once again - for not having noticed this when reviewing
>> the commit and RCs.  I can live with it the way it is and as I said
>> the site doc can be fixed post-release, so I am OK moving forward.
>> Just wanted to do a little gut check before we pour the cement on
>> this setup.
> I think there are good arguments for both positions that are pretty
> evenly matched. Having opted for one arrangement, I don't see a strong
> enough argument to change it.
>
> The o.a.c.pool2 package currently only contains interfaces, abstract
> classes and a utility class. There are no concrete implementations.
> Moving DefaultPooledObject would change that. Equally, I can see how
> moving it would make things simpler but I did deliberately opt to leave
> it in o.a.c.pool2.impl

Good point.  I suppose moving the other way is also possible (Base*
-> impl) but I see downsides to this too.  I get the logic now.
Once again, sorry for not having raised this when the change was
made.
> I'm fine with fixing the docs post release.

OK.  I will fix the docs in trunk.  As I said above, my +1 for these
artifacts stands.

Phil

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <lu...@spaceroots.org>.
Le 05/11/2013 22:32, Oliver Heger a écrit :
> Build works fine with Maven and Java 7 on Windows 8.1, site and
> artifacts look good.
>
> When I build the site locally, the RAT report is clean; so this issue
> should be easy to fix.

Even built locally, I also get the 151 unknown licenses. Looking
manually at them, I agree, this is not really a blocker. It is not
something we release, it is a derived product of something we release
(documentation generation by an automated tool which does not change the
license of the original source code). There is no external intellectual
property added in this process that someone could claim here. It is
rather a limitation of the rat tool (or its configuration).

It is the first time I see a site-content directory appearing at top
level, though. It seems related to the commons.scmPubCheckoutDirectory
property, so probably something really specific to our parent pom. We
should probably add in parallel something to ignore this directory in RAT.

Anyway, I don't consider it a blocker, so +1 from me.

Luc

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 05/11/2013 13:45, Gary Gregory wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 2:17 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> There seems to be something very different from previous RCs WRT the
>>> RAT
>>> report:
>>>
>>> 151 Unknown Licenses
>>>
>>> Odd.
>>
>> It has picked up some of the generated documentation files - almost
>> certainly as a result of the changes I made to the scm plug-in in my
>> attempt to set it up correctly having changed the componentId. I don't see
>> anything of concern in the list (or - fortunately - anything that would
>> require a new RC).
>>

> That does not look right, compare this POM to [compress] which was just
> released recently.

If I have understood things correctly, [compress] is not a valid
comparison as it has not changed the componentId.

I based my changes of the Math pom. I can well believe that I didn't get
it quite right.

That said, the only issues I am aware of are:
a) extra generated files in the RAT report that have to be 'manually'
   ignored
b) it is likely that the publish step will have to be manual to get the
   right files in the right place.

I can live with a) and was planning on doing b) anyway so I haven't yet
seen anything that would trigger an RC5.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 2:17 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >There seems to be something very different from previous RCs WRT the
> >RAT
> >report:
> >
> >151 Unknown Licenses
> >
> >Odd.
>
> It has picked up some of the generated documentation files - almost
> certainly as a result of the changes I made to the scm plug-in in my
> attempt to set it up correctly having changed the componentId. I don't see
> anything of concern in the list (or - fortunately - anything that would
> require a new RC).

That does not look right, compare this POM to [compress] which was just
released recently.

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Pool 2.0 RC4 as 2.0

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Thomas Neidhart
<th...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 11/06/2013 03:20 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 4:18 AM, Thomas Neidhart
> > <th...@gmail.com>wrote:

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-073/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
> >>>

> http://people.apache.org/~markt/dev/commons-pool-2.0-RC4/changes-report.html

> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_0_RC4/

> >> [x] +1 Release these artifacts
> >>
> >> Regarding the rat plugin and the related warnings:
> >>
> >> add this to the pom before making the site and deploying it (reporting
> >> section):
> >>
> >> <plugin>
> >>    <groupId>org.apache.rat</groupId>
> >>    <artifactId>apache-rat-plugin</artifactId>
> >>    <configuration>
> >>      <excludes>
> >>        <exclude>site-content/**/*</exclude>
> >>      </excludes>
> >>    </configuration>
> >> </plugin>
> >>

> > This magic and more RAT magic is provided in commons-parent 32, which RC4
> > does NOT use. The CP change is in SVN, why not cut another release? That
> > should do it, finally, and cleanly :)
>
> afaik it is not mandatory to only publish the latest release tag as
> site. He could just do that:
>
>  * publish site based on RC4 tag
>  * re-publish site based on latest trunk (with corrections)
>
> Most of our components are published from trunk, which is also perfectly
> fine as long as the component has links to the latest released javadocs
> and changelogs imho.

OK, but the site would have to be further modified to include a "Javadoc
(trunk)" in addition to the Javadoc to released versions.

I've always found it confusing to go to a site and see that it is for a
-SNAPSHOT version, because I have no way to tell how the information
relates to any released version. I'll start another thread...

+0

Gary

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.

[RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache Commons Pool 2.0 RC4 as 2.0

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
+1: oheger, luc, tn, psteitz, markt
+0: ggregory

All votes are binding unless otherwise noted.

The vote therefore passes.

I'll start the work to complete the release process shortly.

Mark