Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Curt LeCaptain <le...@infinitytechnology.com> on 2005/02/01 16:59:30 UTC

Tomcat Includes?

Hello everyone,

Currently I'm running Tomcat 5 and I am looking to be able to take the
virtual hosts section of my server.xml file and move it to it's own
file, to be included in server.xml.  I've been searching for the last
few days on a way to do this, but I'm having no luck.  Any help would
be
greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Curt LeCaptain

Re: Tomcat Includes?

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 09:59:30AM -0600, Curt LeCaptain wrote:
: Currently I'm running Tomcat 5 and I am looking to be able to take the
: virtual hosts section of my server.xml file and move it to it's own
: file, to be included in server.xml.

Sounds like you've gotten tunnel vision from digging at this so long =)

Let's forget about Tomcat-specific solutions and think XML: what about
external entities?  That is, define an entity

	... vhostDefs ... "some/path/to/vhost_defs.xml"

and in server.xml

	&vhostDefs

The trick here would be relative vs absolute paths: what's the server's
current directory when it starts?  Does it stay in $CATALINA_BASE or
$CATALINA_HOME? etc.  You'd have to experiment but it's a start.

Another option would be to use system properties.  At least some such
properties are available in the Tomcat config files using
expression-language syntax (e.g. "${vhost.defs}"), though I haven't
researched this.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net