Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by ru...@us.ibm.com on 2000/07/24 23:50:59 UTC

Re: New version of the specs ... was ... Re: [PROPOSAL] New build targets for Tomcat

Eduardo wrote:

> > I've heard rumors that the next version of the servlet specification
> > will require JSP to be bundled with the Servlet.  I believe that that
> > would be unfortunate, but in any case should merely be interpreted as
> > a packaging statement, and not constrain the architecture of the
> > implementation.
>
> I do not know what "require JSP to be bundled with the Servlet" means,
> but, for all the interpretations I can resolve this sentence into, this
> is false.

Thanks!  That statement is most helpful!

The statement quoted above was in response to suggestions that Tomcat could
not be built separately from Jasper and vice versa on this mailing list
because somehow the specifications would not allow it.  What you have
quoted needs to be understood in that greater context - all I was saying
was that even if that were true, it would not have any bearing on the
discussion at hand.

My way of approaching the problem was a bit roundabout - your direct
statement is much clearer.  Thanks!

> Sam, you know my email, just send me mail the next time you hear a
> silly rumor.

I most certainly do have your e-mail address, and as you are well aware, I
am not afraid to use it. ;-)

> Actually, IBM is in the expert group, you can ask your friendly
> representative for this.

The discussion to which this was a part of would more properly be
considered ASF official business than IBM official business.

- Sam Ruby