Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by da...@bt.com on 2006/01/26 16:30:36 UTC

Installing Synapse - feedback

Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks for your tips during today's chat. I went back to
install Synapse the right way this time. I followed the steps described
in http://wiki.apache.org/ws/Synapse/UserGuide. Please find below my
comments in regards to the installation procedure.

A. Using the Synapse snapshot (latest being the M1)
1. I believe there's a small typo in the user guide. It says we should
be able to locate a folder synapse-repository but the unzipped contents
have a synapse_repository instead.
2. Keeping the previous typo in mind we can now run the following
command: bin\synapse synapse_repository 8080. However, once again there
seems to be a typo. The command should read bin\synapse
synapse_repository -p8080 (p added before the port number). As a matter
of fact, the trunk/java/xdocs/userguide.html does include the -p
command.

This brings us to running the following command in the synapse folder
(wherever the user extracted the snapshot):

D:\synapse>bin\synapse.bat synapse_repository -p8080

And the result is:

D:\synapse>"c:\j2sdk1.4.2_09\bin\java.exe"
-Djava.ext.dirs=D:\synapse\bin\..\lib;D:\synapse\bin\.. -cp
D:\synapse\bin\..\lib org.apache.axis2.transport.http.SimpleHTTPServer
synapse_repository -p8080

[SimpleHTTPServer] Starting
[SimpleHTTPServer] Using the Axis2 Repository
D:\synapse\synapse_repository
[SimpleHTTPServer] Listening on port 8080
- Deploying module : addressing
- Error in schema generating :null
- Error in schema generating :null
[SimpleHTTPServer] Started

Is the Error in schema generating: null normal?

One last detail... The user guide in the wiki doesn't include a link to
the M1 snapshot (http://www.apache.org/dist/ws/synapse/M1). It'd be
useful to add one.

B. Using maven to build and install Synapse
I'll have a look at installing Synapse with maven later on. I hope this
input may be of use to the project's user guide.

David.
David Brossard, MEng
Research Professional, Security Research Centre
BT Group Chief Technology Office
___________________________
pp2A
Rigel House
Adastral Park
Martlesham Heath
Ipswich
Suffolk IP5 3RE
United Kingdom
Office: 01473 642930
Mobile: 07906 692612
Fax : 01473 649546
Email: david.brossard@bt.com
British Telecommunications plc
Registered office: 81 Newgate Street London EC1A 7AJ
Registered in England no. 1800000
This electronic message contains information from British
Telecommunications plc which may be privileged or confidential. The
information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity
named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this
information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message
in error, please notify us by telephone or email (to the numbers or
address above) immediately.
Activity and use of the British Telecommunications plc email system is
monitored to secure its effective operation and for other lawful
business purposes. Communications using this system will also be
monitored and may be recorded to secure effective operation and for
other lawful business purposes.

Re: Installing Synapse - feedback

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
David

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll update the UserGuide. In fact you can just do bin\synapse.... I ought
to have mentioned that :-)

Did you get the samples\ant stuff working?
Thats not in the UG yet, but the README in samples should help.

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle

http://bloglines.com/blog/paulfremantle