Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Farid Hamjavar <ha...@unm.edu> on 2002/12/01 02:29:27 UTC

[users@httpd] revisiting Min/MaxSpareServers

apache 1.3.27 on rh 7.x

hello,

it seems like  that just about any document
I come across regarding Min/MaxSpareServers
says:

   "....Tuning of  this parameter  should only be
    necessary on very  busy sites. "

I was wondering if there is a matrix somewhere
for admins to use that establishes some kind
of relationship between values of those directives
and let say hits/per day a site receives ...

e.g. what are those values for a site with 1
million hits per day or 5 million per day ,etc,etc ...

thanks,
farid

Re: [users@httpd] revisiting Min/MaxSpareServers

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.

Farid Hamjavar wrote:

> apache 1.3.27 on rh 7.x
>
> hello,
>
> it seems like  that just about any document
> I come across regarding Min/MaxSpareServers
> says:
>
>    "....Tuning of  this parameter  should only be
>     necessary on very  busy sites. "
>

> I was wondering if there is a matrix somewhere
> for admins to use that establishes some kind
> of relationship between values of those directives
> and let say hits/per day a site receives ...
>
> e.g. what are those values for a site with 1
> million hits per day or 5 million per day ,etc,etc ...

that would depend a lot on how many at one time, if the hits are equally
spread across the day, then lower min / max would be fine, if they all
come in, in a short time, then higher min / max would be needed.

I have 3 sites runnig on one server, and they are pulling in between
them around 3 thousand hits a day, since they are only for freely
downloading 3d meshes and associated addons for one app, the site owners
are doing thier own advertising, the hit count, in my situation right
now, doesn't really matter.

Re: [users@httpd] revisiting Min/MaxSpareServers

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Farid Hamjavar wrote:

> apache 1.3.27 on rh 7.x
>
> hello,
>
> it seems like  that just about any document
> I come across regarding Min/MaxSpareServers
> says:
>
>    "....Tuning of  this parameter  should only be
>     necessary on very  busy sites. "
>

> I was wondering if there is a matrix somewhere
> for admins to use that establishes some kind
> of relationship between values of those directives
> and let say hits/per day a site receives ...
>
> e.g. what are those values for a site with 1
> million hits per day or 5 million per day ,etc,etc ...

The purpose of these directives is to ensure that whenever a request
comes in, there is *always* one spare idle process ready to take that
request. So it is not so much busy servers, as servers for which traffic
is erratic. You have 5 million hits per day, say, but these hits are
fairly uniformly distributed, then you should be fine. If, on the other
hand, traffic is extremely spiky - ie, 3 visitors one minute, and 20,000
the next - then you will want to have minspareservers set much higher in
order to absorbe this spike in traffic. Similarly, maxspareservers
should be set high enough that when that spike of traffic goes away,
those server processes are not all killed off, but are kept around for
the next spike.

--
Rich Bowen
Apache - mod_perl - Perl - CGI