Posted to user@olingo.apache.org by Wendy Tamm <we...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/03 19:38:55 UTC

EntityProvider.readEntry failing to parse Atom for unknown reasons

Hi all,

I'm trying to read the payload of a POST message (Atom format) and am
running into two confusing parsing errors.

I'm creating an EDM from the metadata document of the odata.org example
service for v2.0 (http://services.odata.org/v2/odata/odata.svc/$metadata),
and using the EntityProvider to read the payload. This is the basic code,
simplified and with some self-explanatory variable names:

Edm exampleEdm = EntityProvider.readMetadata(metadataInputStream, false);
UriParser uriParser = new UriParserImpl(exampleEdm);

EntityProviderReadProperties properties =
EntityProviderReadProperties.init().mergeSemantic(false).build();
ODataEntry newEntry = EntityProvider.readEntry("application/atom+xml",
uriInfo.getStartEntitySet(), payloadInputStream, properties);

This is the example new entry message I tried first, copied verbatim from
section 2.4 of this page:
http://www.odata.org/documentation/odata-version-2-0/operations

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Entry xmlns:d="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2007/08/dataservices"
    xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2007/08/dataservices/metadata"
    xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom">
  <title type="text"></title>
  <updated>2010-02-27T21:36:47Z</updated>
  <author>
    <name />
  </author>
  <category term="DataServiceProviderDemo.Category"
      scheme="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2007/08/dataservices/scheme" />
  <content type="application/xml">
    <m:properties>
      <d:ID>10</d:ID>
      <d:Name>Clothing</d:Name>
    </m:properties>
  </content>
</Entry>

When attempting to read this message, an EntityProviderException is thrown:

org.apache.olingo.odata2.api.ep.EntityProviderException: An exception of
type 'WstxParsingException' occurred.
    at
org.apache.olingo.odata2.core.ep.consumer.XmlEntryConsumer.readEntry(XmlEntryConsumer.java:91)
    at
org.apache.olingo.odata2.core.ep.consumer.XmlEntityConsumer.readEntry(XmlEntityConsumer.java:90)
    at
org.apache.olingo.odata2.core.ep.AtomEntityProvider.readEntry(AtomEntityProvider.java:376)
    at
org.apache.olingo.odata2.core.ep.ProviderFacadeImpl.readEntry(ProviderFacadeImpl.java:173)
    at
org.apache.olingo.odata2.api.ep.EntityProvider.readEntry(EntityProvider.java:688)
Caused by: com.ctc.wstx.exc.WstxParsingException: Received event
END_DOCUMENT, instead of START_ELEMENT or END_ELEMENT.
 at [row,col {unknown-source}]: [18,8]
    at
com.ctc.wstx.sr.StreamScanner.constructWfcException(StreamScanner.java:606)
    at com.ctc.wstx.sr.StreamScanner.throwParseError(StreamScanner.java:479)
    at com.ctc.wstx.sr.StreamScanner.throwParseError(StreamScanner.java:464)
    at
com.ctc.wstx.sr.BasicStreamReader.nextTag(BasicStreamReader.java:1175)
    at
org.apache.olingo.odata2.core.ep.consumer.XmlEntryConsumer.readEntry(XmlEntryConsumer.java:83)

I thought it might be being caused by the capitalization of the 'e' in the
"<Entry>" tags, which might be a typo on the website. So, I changed those
capitals to lowercase, and that just caused a different exception:

org.apache.olingo.odata2.api.ep.EntityProviderException: An exception of
type 'WstxEOFException' occurred.
    at
org.apache.olingo.odata2.core.ep.consumer.XmlEntryConsumer.readEntry(XmlEntryConsumer.java:91)
    at
org.apache.olingo.odata2.core.ep.consumer.XmlEntityConsumer.readEntry(XmlEntityConsumer.java:90)
    at
org.apache.olingo.odata2.core.ep.AtomEntityProvider.readEntry(AtomEntityProvider.java:376)
    at
org.apache.olingo.odata2.core.ep.ProviderFacadeImpl.readEntry(ProviderFacadeImpl.java:173)
    at
org.apache.olingo.odata2.api.ep.EntityProvider.readEntry(EntityProvider.java:688)
Caused by: com.ctc.wstx.exc.WstxEOFException: Unexpected EOF in prolog
 at [row,col {unknown-source}]: [1,0]
    at
com.ctc.wstx.sr.StreamScanner.throwUnexpectedEOF(StreamScanner.java:677)
    at
com.ctc.wstx.sr.BasicStreamReader.handleEOF(BasicStreamReader.java:2139)
    at
com.ctc.wstx.sr.BasicStreamReader.nextFromProlog(BasicStreamReader.java:2045)
    at com.ctc.wstx.sr.BasicStreamReader.next(BasicStreamReader.java:1134)
    at
com.ctc.wstx.sr.BasicStreamReader.nextTag(BasicStreamReader.java:1157)
    at
org.apache.olingo.odata2.core.ep.consumer.XmlEntryConsumer.readEntry(XmlEntryConsumer.java:83)

I haven't been able to find any relevant, useful information about these
two parsing exceptions, and I really can't figure out what could be wrong
with the messages or with my code. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

--
- WT

Re: EntityProvider.readEntry failing to parse Atom for unknown reasons

Posted by Wendy Tamm <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

The EOF was being caused by another issue unrelated to the library. The
WstxParsingException when using "Entry" is the remaining question - you
answered it completely. Thanks!

From:  Wendy Tamm <we...@gmail.com>
Date:  Donnerstag, 3. Juli 2014 21:26
To:  "user@olingo.apache.org" <us...@olingo.apache.org>