Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/01/17 02:47:00 UTC

Updating James vis-a-vis Avalon

Stephen,

> Who is wondering what he should do with the James tranformation of
> CM to SM that he has on his machine?

We'd love to have it, Stephen.  The only issue appears to be whether or not
we want it before Avalon is ready to do a Release.  Related to this, Dion
Gillard is working on the Maven setup for James.  He also needs us to have a
clean set of Avalon JAR files.  Right now he's having trouble because of
James / Avalon compatibility issues.

Serge's view, and I think there is justification, is that we want a Release,
not another CVS dump.  I do see that Avalon (in the person of you, for the
most part) is starting to do the preliminary work necessary.  Personally,
since James v3 is in early development, I don't know that I would mind
starting with a tagged CVS release that was considered by the Avalon PMC to
be a Milestone build, but mine is just one vote.

My suggestion is that you propose to us that you submit your patches
concurrent with such a Milestone from Avalon, and let us vote on it.  This
is important for Maven, too, since they would put your version labeled jars
into their central repository.

On a related topic, I've no problem with Avalon keeping store.  I was just
pointing out that Peter Donald has commented that he thought it ought to be
moved to James.  Right now we do have our own (fixed) copy of the file store
implementation, since it was broken, and we were told to fix it in copies of
our own so that it could be removed from Avalon.

	--- Noel

Re: Updating James vis-a-vis Avalon

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Stephen,
>

>>Who is wondering what he should do with the James tranformation of
>>CM to SM that he has on his machine?
>>

>We'd love to have it, Stephen.  The only issue appears to be whether or not
>we want it before Avalon is ready to do a Release.  Related to this, Dion
>Gillard is working on the Maven setup for James.  He also needs us to have a
>clean set of Avalon JAR files.  Right now he's having trouble because of
>James / Avalon compatibility issues.

Yep - I noticed that (basically the same issues I've been dealing with
this last week and the reson why I've been working up the product table
this week):

   http://www.osm.net/technical/avalon/docs/avalon.html

>Serge's view, and I think there is justification, is that we want a Release,
>not another CVS dump.  I do see that Avalon (in the person of you, for the
>most part) is starting to do the preliminary work necessary.  Personally,
>since James v3 is in early development, I don't know that I would mind
>starting with a tagged CVS release that was considered by the Avalon PMC to
>be a Milestone build, but mine is just one vote.

The are a coule of steps:

   (a) getting out a release candidate (milestone build) of Cornerstone
- this need Avalon an OK

   (b) getting a release together - this needs PMC which needs process
which needs time

I want to get the changes off my machine and into James and from there
start validation of operation within Phonix.  If there is a problem with
Phoenix execution based on the Cornerstone CVS release - we jump in and
fix Phoenix.  Once everything is working nicely - we move forward with a
release.  But release has prerequisites - and there is as little
housekeeping that needs to be done over on avalon first.  I would like
to can to the point of validating a candate before we get into the
release process - and that means getting this stuff into James HEAD.

>My suggestion is that you propose to us that you submit your patches
>concurrent with such a Milestone from Avalon, and let us vote on it.  This
>is important for Maven, too, since they would put your version labeled jars
>into their central repository.

Sounds reasonable - I will make a proposal on Avalon for RELEASE
CANDIDATE (milestonte) status of the Cornerstone jars. If that flows
through - I'll make a proposal to James to ramp up to the RC jars.
Assuming that that flows though - we put in place validate of deployment
of James on Merlin and Phoenix - we solve any problems that arrise.
 After that - you guys give the green light for a release to Avalon -
following which I'll persue a process of release (taking into account
all of the the dependency considerations).

>On a related topic, I've no problem with Avalon keeping store.  I was just
>pointing out that Peter Donald has commented that he thought it ought to be
>moved to James.  Right now we do have our own (fixed) copy of the file store
>implementation, since it was broken, and we were told to fix it in copies of
>our own so that it could be removed from Avalon.

I'm feeling a little uncomfortable about all of this - I don't have a
good idea about what is wrong - I don't know if James is the only user
of this or not - and I don't like the fact that I don't know where we are!!!

But I do want to resolve this.

In the meantime:

   Step 1: Avalon OK on a RC status on the Cornerstone build.

   Step 2: James OK on migration to RC and CM --> SM migratiton.

I'll get started on step (1).

Cheers, Steve.

>	--- Noel
>

>--