Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by "Patel, Sameer" <sa...@lmco.com> on 2012/04/10 21:40:37 UTC

Newbie Install/Setup Questions

Hello,

I'm a total newbie to Accumulo and am trying to setup version 1.4.0(I'm assuming this is the latest release) on XUbuntu 11.10.   I'm running on top of Apache Hadoop 1.0.1.  I'm having some setup problems and was wondering if someone might have some insight?

Hadoop Setup Environment
-----------------------
I'm running in a multi node setup where I have the Job Tracker, Name Node, Secondary Name Node, Zookeeper, and 2 slaves all on separate machines (virtual machines).  I have verified that the Hadoop install seems ok and even performed a distributed file action to test the file system (e.g. made a directory).  Additionally, I see the 2 "Live Nodes"(2 slave nodes) show up on the Hadoop status page at http:<machine>:50070.

Accumulo Setup Environment
--------------------------
I have the Accumulo Master/Table Server deployed on one of the Hadoop slaves. I also have Accumulo installed on the other Hadoop slave to serve as another Accumulo Tablet Server.  So theoretically, I'm expecting one Accumulo master and two Accumulo tablet servers (played by my 2 Hadoop slave nodes).

Question 1
----------
When I initially tried to start accumulo with the "start-all.sh" script, it did not start and printed: "Accumulo 1.4.0 requires Hadoop version 0.20.x".  Is this accurate?  Is it really 0.20.x (which is listed as the "legacy" version on the Apache Hadoop site)?  I probably missed this requirement somewhere in the documentation but I still can't find this spelled out.

Question 2
----------
Temporarily, I commented out the check for the particular Hadoop version relating to Question 1 to get Accumulo started (in "config.sh").  Once I did that I was able to go to the Accumulo Status page and see the following information as listed below.  Everything looks good except the Tablet Servers number.  Should I be seeing 2 there (instead of 1)?  I have the 2 slave nodes listed in my "slaves" conf file.  Interestingly it detects 2 Data Nodes..and when I click on the link in the UI for "Live Data Nodes" it shows my 2 machines listed.

Accumulo Master
----------------
Tables 2
Tablet Servers 1