Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by David Shere <ds...@steelerubber.com> on 2007/01/26 16:46:29 UTC

Invoicing and the Data Model Resource Book

I am importing old orders from a FilePro system.  I have figured out how
to create a Payment and an orderPaymentPreference.  I've also realized
that I need to create an invoice and related entities for some of my
orders (the invoiced ones).

I've picked up the _Data Model Resource Book Volume 1 Revised Edition_
and started reading Chapter 7.  My main question is, how closely does
OFBiz follow the book in the area of invoicing?

Also, will I really need to create an invoice item for each item on an
invoiced order?  Or would leaving that off be acceptable?
--
David Shere
Information Technology Services

Re: Invoicing and the Data Model Resource Book

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
David,

From: "David Shere" <ds...@steelerubber.com>
> I am importing old orders from a FilePro system.  I have figured out how
> to create a Payment and an orderPaymentPreference.  I've also realized
> that I need to create an invoice and related entities for some of my
> orders (the invoiced ones).
>
> I've picked up the _Data Model Resource Book Volume 1 Revised Edition_
> and started reading Chapter 7.  My main question is, how closely does
> OFBiz follow the book in the area of invoicing?

AFAIK there are no documents for this. You have to compare the book with the existing model through WeebTools Entity tools.

> Also, will I really need to create an invoice item for each item on an
> invoiced order?  Or would leaving that off be acceptable?

I guess it's up to you but if I was you I shall follow the data model.

Jacques

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Jan 26, 2007, at 8:46 AM, David Shere wrote:

> I am importing old orders from a FilePro system.  I have figured
> out how to create a Payment and an orderPaymentPreference.  I've
> also realized that I need to create an invoice and related entities
> for some of my orders (the invoiced ones).
>
> I've picked up the _Data Model Resource Book Volume 1 Revised
> Edition_ and started reading Chapter 7.  My main question is, how
> closely does OFBiz follow the book in the area of invoicing?

As a generality the model concepts are the same, and most of the high-
level structures are the same as well. You will find a lot of
variations and a large number of extensions, but that is where all of
the basic ideas came from.

> Also, will I really need to create an invoice item for each item on
> an invoiced order?  Or would leaving that off be acceptable?

Just as with other things for this I'd recommend invoicing an order
and looking at the data that makes it into the database and then do
something like it. For this yes, I'd create an invoice item for each
order item.

-David