Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Saksham Srivastava <sa...@citrix.com> on 2013/02/28 11:24:45 UTC

Re: why not share network use the same CIDR mechanism to assign ip to guest vm. but only isolated network?

Wang,

A shared network can be created only by admin and could be shared across
multiple accounts.
Isolated networks can be created by both admin and users.

The difference is:

For creating isolated guest network :
You CAN specify the gateway and netmask (which gets converted internally
to CIDR),but it is not mandatory,

if you don't specify gateway and netmask, zone level CIDR is used.

For creating shared networks :
Gateway and netmask is mandatory, it never picks up from zone setting.

Hope it clears your doubt.

There has been a recent discussion on replacing the gateway/netmask
combo with CIDR.
May be after some more community discussion you could create an issue to
replace gateway/netmask combination with CIDR only.

Regards,
Saksham