Posted to user@avro.apache.org by Rob Torop <ro...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/25 02:18:34 UTC

avro-tools random FYI

I'd been  having  trouble using avro-tools generating a random avro file
based on a schema.  I finally realized that it assumes that it's going to
write the result to hdfs.   So I was trying this

     java -jar avro-tools.jar --schema-file someschema.avsc --count 1
blah.avro

and getting an error.  I found that it supports the unix convention of
using - (minus sign) as stdout, so this worked:

    java -jar avro-tools.jar --schema-file someschema.avsc --count 1 *-  > *
blah.avro

I'm just making a note of it in case anyone encounters the same problem.