Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com> on 2014/11/07 21:22:06 UTC

FW: PLI Open Source and Free Software 2014

Dear colleagues,

I'm pleased to invite you to an all-day PLI continuing education program on
"Open Source and Free Software 2014" in San Francisco (and on the web) on
December 10, 2014. Some of our good friends on this list will be presenting.
This is the schedule for the panels:

*         Jim Jagielski (Apache) will explain the term "open source
community" for those new to FOSS and for those of us who are experienced but
still don't always understand it.

*         Gabriel Holloway (Leonard Street) and Marc Visnick (Johnson-Laird)
will categorize and describe FOSS licenses and presumably resolve all
outstanding issues of license interpretation that embroil our mailing lists.

*         Karen Copenhaver (Choate) will summarize recent FOSS-related
litigation, and David Marr (Qualcomm) and Jilayne Lovejoy (ARM) will
describe how businesses are regularizing the open source supply chain
("OpenChain") Two complex topics in one hour!

*         Adam Cohn (Evernote) and Mitch Segal (HP) will help us implement
effective business practices in the "open source cloud." This wasn't even a
topic at our PLI program several years ago.

*         Harrison Frahn (Simpson Thacher) and Gwyn Murray (Matau Legal)
will challenge open source lawyers with ethical issues. Earn 1 hour of
ethics CLE credit and try to answer the hypothetical questions they pose.

*         Duane Valz (Google) and Kat Walsh (Creative Commons) will talk
about recent developments in FOSS-compatible licensing for software patents
and software standards.

*         Heather Meeker (O'Melveny & Myers), Luis Villa (Wikimedia), Pamela
Chestek (Chestek Legal) and I will then close out a long but productive day
discussing "Hot Topics: Critical issues and important cases in FOSS." We'll
have to wait until December 10 to learn what those hot topics are.

Details are at
http://www.pli.edu/Content/Seminar/Open_Source_and_Free_Software_2014_Benefi
ts/_/N-4kZ1z12esr?ID=178810.

For those of you near New York, there is a similar PLI program on November
12, chaired by Lori Lesser (Simpson Thacher) and Stuart Levi (Skadden Arps),
with equally engaging speakers. That program isn't webcast but it is an
excellent opportunity to hear (sometimes different?) opinions on the above
topics!

Note that if you can't attend on the day of either program, the San
Francisco program will be available online through PLI. Please give us your
feedback if you attend in person or watch.

/Larry

P.S. I want to acknowledge that I included in the PLI course handbook – as
my own "contribution" – a copy of an entire issue of the International Free
and Open Source Software Law Review (IFOSSLR
<http://www.ifosslr.org/ifosslr> , vol. 5, no. 2). This allowed me to share
some wonderful articles by other participants on this list with course
attendees who may not subscribe to that periodical. But it also demonstrates
the ways that we FOSS attorneys and others freely take from our common
repository of copyrighted works with no further permission but Creative
Commons licenses. Thanks to Alex Newson, Jim Saxton, Huseyin Tolu, Pamela
Chestek, Patrice-Emmanuel Schmitz, Kari Kärkkäinen, Jilayne Lovejoy, Phil
Odence, Scott Lamons, and Gijs Hillenius for their articles.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SHARE OR CROSS-POST THIS EMAIL. IT IS CC-BY. THANKS!

Lawrence Rosen

Rosenlaw & Einschlag (www.rosenlaw.com <http://www.rosenlaw.com/> )