Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/23 11:17:59 UTC

Next release 7.1?

Hi guys

Having tomcat 8.5 now I d like to move tomee to 7.1 to show coming release
is not just another 7.0.

Any objection?

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Alex Soto <as...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
Well, with the additional comment that I still think the moment we release a “TomEE 7” that isn’t Java EE 7 compliant we get a lot of negative feedback around intentionally misleading people.

My gut still says this is very bad.

I’d have preferred to call it TomEE 2.  Should we get a TCK and have to redo the guts, that’d be TomEE 3.0.

-David

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Le 25 avr. 2016 04:01, "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> a écrit :

> On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 6:59 PM Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Le 25 avr. 2016 00:36, "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> a écrit :
> > >
> > > It doesn't make sense to jump to a 7.1 immediately without even
releasing
> > > 7.0.  Just confusing from a semantic versioning standpoint.
> >
> > Do you think releasing a version which changes structurally with the
same
> > minor is less confusing - was my fear ?
> >

> Maybe your fears aren't clear.  Granted I haven't tried tomcat 8.5.  Are
> you saying that using Tomcat 8.5 causes TomEE to have a different
directory
> structure or something?  Or what structurally is the issue here? Its not
> clear.

8.5 changed few things bit introduced very big new features and new
configuration. Both should be reflected in a new minor if we respect our
versioning - once again personally I dont care bit need community ack
before moving fwd.

> > > Given the current status of the TCK & ASF, I wonder if waiting for it
and
> > > claiming EE 7 compatibility at a later date would make more sense.  So
> > > maybe along what Dave's mentioning and favor a TomEE 2 that's focused
on
> > EE
> > > 7 capabilities without stating that its EE7 compliant.
> > >

> > As mentionned 2.x would break tools - tomee ones which is ok but several
> > externals including maven/ivy (gradle) based ones so I'm against it and
> > prefer to confuse vs break.
> >

> How does it break maven/ivy/gradle?

Typically LATEST will not work anymore which is something enough to -1 any
vote.

> > About doing a 7.0 with master:  if everyone wants I m happy to promote
M3

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.

> Anything else would suggest this is a release, and it's not.

Can you explain a bit more this please?
What do you mean "it's not"?

The build is currently green and stable.
Users feedback is good.
We do follow Apache rules in terms of quality, licensing and any other
legal.
We don't have any snapshot dependency as far as I know.

I have the feeling this statement is related to the TCK note I added,
that's why I am asking.

--
Jean-Louis Monteiro
http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Andy Gumbrecht <ag...@tomitribe.com>.

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.

> 7.1.0 can't really exist until 7.0.0 is released?

+1

On the milestone one, I feel good in doing the 7.0.0 final.
No more milestones.

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.
+1 as well for that

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
> On Apr 27, 2016, at 3:42 AM, Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID> wrote:
>
> JavaEE certification is not worth much anymore.

I assume this your opinion… not a fact?  Do you have info to back that statement up?

I won’t argue that I believe (yes my opinion) that Java EE is waning… but I’m not sure going as far as saying its not worth much any more is a fact.

> Recently I learned that another big customer shipped their EE server for 5 years without passing the Sun TCK and still claimed to be a ‚compliant EE server’.

Interesting… they claimed it “compliant” and no mention of certified.  That seems like lawsuit bait to me.  Name of server/company that made that claim?  I would be interested to know whose legal let that one slip.

> We don’t claim anything and just say that we implement the EE7 APIs. That’s all. At the end TomEE is measured by how stable it runs and how good the support and community around it is.

-1.  Be up front and forth-right with the community.  Honestly is always the best policy.

Jeff

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Andy Gumbrecht <ag...@tomitribe.com>.

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Gurkan Erdogdu <ge...@managecat.com>.
> I mean, it's still a milestone. So should just carry on the 7.0.0-Mx path.
> 7.1.0 can't really exist until 7.0.0 is released?
+1

Best
Gurkan

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Andy Gumbrecht <ag...@tomitribe.com>.

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jg...@tomitribe.com>.

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Alex Soto <as...@gmail.com>.
Option 1 looks good to me.

El dl., 25 abr. 2016 a les 11:23, Jean-Louis Monteiro (<
jlmonteiro@tomitribe.com>) va escriure:

RE: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Yann BLAZART <ya...@externe.bnpparibas.com>.
Hello,

Just 2 cents of  users that want to deliver app based on TomEE 7 in production.

Option 1 is great for us.

No  real problems detected on M3 or even SNAPSHOT on all my unit and integration tests.

We don't care of TCK (for us it's not important, other EE  "certified" servers have lot of specificities)

Regards.

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.
Works for me

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Anyone against option 1?

Romain Manni-Bucau

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.
Thanks for the feedback

--
Jean-Louis Monteiro
http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro
http://www.tomitribe.com

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Bjorn Danielsson <bj...@lists.cuspycode.com>.

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.
My 2 cts

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Martin Funk <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Martin Funk <ma...@gmail.com>.
A user's opinion here.

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
It doesn't make sense to jump to a 7.1 immediately without even releasing a

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release 7.1?

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.