Posted to general@james.apache.org by Roy Henderson <r_...@rebexitservices.co.uk> on 2004/02/16 16:36:20 UTC

James status ...

Hi,

I'm selecting a mail server for a small ISP venture which I am launching.
I've downloaded James and done some trivial testing . I'm also looking at
Exim .

One thing I'm not clear on, and which I can't seem to gauge from the website
is whether James is still actively being developed and if it is both
functional enough and stable enough to consider as a mail platform for an
ISP . the website mentions V2.2 planned for June 2003 for example but I can
only see V2.1.3 as available .

Comments would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Roy

RE: James status ...

Posted by Roy Henderson <r_...@rebexitservices.co.uk>.
Thanks Serge - that helps me. My ISP launch is probably 3 - 4 months away
yet so I'll continue to watch James in the interim.

Re: James status ...

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Roy Henderson wrote:
> I'm selecting a mail server for a small ISP venture which I am launching.
> I've downloaded James and done some trivial testing . I'm also looking at
> Exim .
>
> One thing I'm not clear on, and which I can't seem to gauge from the website
> is whether James is still actively being developed and if it is both
> functional enough and stable enough to consider as a mail platform for an
> ISP . the website mentions V2.2 planned for June 2003 for example but I can
> only see V2.1.3 as available .
>
> Comments would be most appreciated.

It's being actively developed.

We have many new features in the 2.2 alpha releases, and we're getting
close towards a 3.0 release that will upgrade Avalon, the server
framework that James uses.

We have had a falloff in downloads since last fall because we haven't
released final releases, but we're still getting 5,000 downloads a month
(had been between 10,000 and 20,000 when we were making regular releases).

As for using it for an ISP, here is a scalability test

http://wiki.apache.org/james/JamesByTheNumbers

and testimonials by users...

http://wiki.apache.org/james/JamesUsers

--