Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Emperor <Da...@gmx.net> on 2002/02/21 12:43:58 UTC

tomcat integration / non blocking io classes / jdk 1.4

hi guys,

I want to start up with avalon. Want to build a chat community using
avalon/james/tomcat. I got some questions for you:

- can these three products be packaged under one phoenix instance to
avoid RMI calls? Bay was an attempt to achive this, wasn't it? but I saw
you want to remove it... so what? ;)

- i did'nt see any non blocking IO classes for avalon, which are needed
by my project (NBIO or java.nio), so I think I will have to implement
them by myself. Are there any papers about asynchronous programming with
avalon (especially event handler and event/job queues)?

- is avalon working with JDK 1.4?

thx,

Nils

Re: tomcat integration / non blocking io classes / jdk 1.4

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@managingpartners.com>.
On Thursday 21 February 2002 06:43 am, Emperor wrote:
> I want to start up with avalon. Want to build a chat community using
> avalon/james/tomcat. I got some questions for you:
>
> - can these three products be packaged under one phoenix instance to
> avoid RMI calls? Bay was an attempt to achive this, wasn't it? but I saw
> you want to remove it... so what? ;)

The Jo! servlet engine runs under Phoenix, so you may want to look at that.
-pete

AW: tomcat integration / non blocking io classes / jdk 1.4

Posted by Emperor <Da...@gmx.net>.

> Peter,
>
> >>- can these three products be packaged under one phoenix
> instance to
> >>avoid RMI calls? Bay was an attempt to achive this, wasn't
> it? but I
> >>saw you want to remove it... so what? ;)
> >>
> Bay was killed because we basically could not get Catalina
> working with
> Phoenix.  I had two good goes at it and booked in interim
> results, but
> neither worked well.  It need sarter people than me ;-)
>
> Two strategies for you (other than those Peter suggested)
>
> 1) Run Phoenix in a different VM to Tomcat/Catalina.  Do use RMI or
> AltRMI to interoperate between your webapp and your blocks.
>
> 2) Use Jo! instead of Tomcat.  It works as a block very well.

Are there features implemented in tomcat that I are missing in Jo! ?

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 22:43, Emperor wrote:
> I want to start up with avalon. Want to build a chat community using
> avalon/james/tomcat. I got some questions for you:
>
> - can these three products be packaged under one phoenix instance to
> avoid RMI calls? Bay was an attempt to achive this, wasn't it? but I saw
> you want to remove it... so what? ;)

It is possible to do it in a few ways ... one would be embedding phoenix in a
servlet environment. However I would suggest that you separate them anyway
because it is easier to debug and manage the application via that way.

There is one problem in Phoenix that stops catalina running under it but
eventually that will be fixed ;)

> - i did'nt see any non blocking IO classes for avalon, which are needed
> by my project (NBIO or java.nio), so I think I will have to implement
> them by myself. Are there any papers about asynchronous programming with
> avalon (especially event handler and event/job queues)?

Nothing specific to Avalon but you may want to check out Matt Welshs SEDA
architecture papers. I believe Berin was also starting to experiment with
this sort of stuff but not sure where it is at.

> - is avalon working with JDK 1.4?

Theres a few problems that we know about - they changed JDBC interfaces
between JDK1.3 and JDK1.4 so you have to make sure you compile it for the
correct JVM.

There was also a probalem with shutdown hooks being called - but that wasn't
specific to Avalon as such.

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: tomcat integration / non blocking io classes / jdk 1.4

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Emperor wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> I want to start up with avalon. Want to build a chat community using
> avalon/james/tomcat. I got some questions for you:
>
> - can these three products be packaged under one phoenix instance to
> avoid RMI calls? Bay was an attempt to achive this, wasn't it? but I saw
> you want to remove it... so what? ;)

Classloader issues (the Java version of DLL hell).  James is a Phoenix
sar, so it already runs on Phoenix (no problems at all).  However Tomcat
doesn't.  It has some classloader issues that just are not nice.

> - i did'nt see any non blocking IO classes for avalon, which are needed
> by my project (NBIO or java.nio), so I think I will have to implement
> them by myself. Are there any papers about asynchronous programming with
> avalon (especially event handler and event/job queues)?

For non-blocking IO, you have to use either NBIO or java.nio.  While
there are not papers on asynchronous programming with avalon, we do have
event queue implementations inspired by Matt Welsh's SEDA.  He has some
papers that are very good--but they focus more on the results of
asynchronous event oriented programming than the actual mechanics of how
to do it.

> - is avalon working with JDK 1.4?

yes.  There are *some* issues we are working out, but avalon as a whole
is working with JDK 1.4.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

RE: tomcat integration / non blocking io classes / jdk 1.4

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

> - is avalon working with JDK 1.4?
>
> [jima] judging from the email archives there seems to be some
> issues running
> under jdk1.4 at the moment.

With the 1.4 release under NT4 the shutdown hook
doesn't fire.
Steve.

RE: tomcat integration / non blocking io classes / jdk 1.4

Posted by Jim Alateras <ji...@intalio.com>.

- i did'nt see any non blocking IO classes for avalon, which are needed
by my project (NBIO or java.nio), so I think I will have to implement
them by myself. Are there any papers about asynchronous programming with
avalon (especially event handler and event/job queues)?

[jima] avalon does not use nbio. There are several papers on designing
highly concurrent systems by 'Matt Welsh', which are worth investigating

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mdw/papers/quals-seda.pdf
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mdw/papers/events.pdf

- is avalon working with JDK 1.4?

[jima] judging from the email archives there seems to be some issues running
under jdk1.4 at the moment.

</jima>