Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com> on 2019/07/02 05:13:11 UTC

Android email apps seem unhappy with James

Hi - I started poking at this issue a few months ago and didn't find a
solution so I thought I might ask again before I spend too much further
time trying to resolve this issue. I am running James 3.4 (a snapshot
version given to me to solve another problem) for my own SOHO nets and a
few friends. Nothing big and for the most part it works fine when using
it with email clients such as Thunderbird on Linux or Windows platforms.
But I have a couple Android devices, a phone and a tablet and I have
tried setting up a few different email clients on them all with no joy!
They all seem capable of sending emails out through the smtp service of
James, but I will be darned if I can get them to behave with imap. I
have tried K-9, BlueMail, GMail, and the Samsung E-Mail clients. I have
made the imap server connections pretty much identical to the settings I
use in Thunderbird and Apple Mail and don't believe for a second that I
am setting the Android apps up any different. So is there anything weird
about Android that I should be aware of? BlueMail just shows me a
spinning circle when I tell it to download my email from my server, K-9
does on rare occasion show me some emails but the moment I read one the
rest just disappear and I can't get it to load any more or re-display
the ones that it did manage to download for a short time. I also know
something is partially working because all the folders and sub-folders I
have defined in my mail accounts do show up. So I am puzzled, and asking
because it seems James is the common denominator, any ideas?

    Thanks in advance...   Marc...

--
  --...  ...-- .----. ...    -..  .    .--  .-  --...  .--.  -..-  .--     --  .-  .-.  -.-.
<b>Computers: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the user Marc.<br>

Re: Android email apps seem unhappy with James

Posted by Tellier Benoit <bt...@apache.org>.
Hello Marc,

We feel concerned about this issue and allocated @linagora resources to
be doing some QA on this.

So far we did not encoutered issues (we tested K-9 Mail and BlueMail on
Android 8.1.0) using James 3.3.x (cassandra-guice packaging).

Could you:
 - Share exact apps versions
 - James version + packaging

Also, did you enable QRESYNC + CONDSTORE ? At Linagora we disabled these
options.

As far as I understood from the exchange, these issues could had been
caused by some mimeMessage format. Could you share such mime messages,
if you identify them?

Many thanks,

Benoit

Posted by cryptearth <cr...@cryptearth.de>.
Hey Marc,

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com>.
Hi Matt -

Posted by cryptearth <cr...@cryptearth.de>.
Hey Marc,

[...]

correctly re-sync. Btw: Are other clients consistent when you do changes

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com>.

Posted by cryptearth <cr...@cryptearth.de>.
Hey Marc,