Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu> on 2012/07/28 05:56:17 UTC

Image captures, loads, but not available for reservation

I have a Linux template, named "linux_template_v23_", that mostly works
but has a fatal bug in the config file for its public network interface.
So, I built and captured a new, corrrected build, called
"linux_template_26_".

So far so good.  The new build captured successfully, and I can select
one of my VM definitions, load the new image, and that succeeds, with
the VM ending up marked "Available" in the database, accessable from the
net and so on.

The trouble comes when I try to select the new image in the reservations
interface.  The name appears in the dropdown, but when I select it the
UI immediately prints a red line, "Selection not currently available".
The old profile doesn't have that problem.

I can't think what I did differently for the older template.  I've
looked all over the UI, plus a couple of the backing tables, and I can't
find any difference between the two templates that explains why one is
available and the other isn't.

In requests.php I find:

        $rc = isAvailable($images, $imageid, $imagerevisionid, $start, $end);
  [...]
        if($rc < 1) {
                print "'<font color=red>Selection not currently available</font>'; ";
                print "if(dojo.byId('newsubmit')) dojo.byId('newsubmit').value = 'View Time Table';";

...and in utils I find that the isAvailable function checks a lot of
conditions before returning an integer less than 1 on error, so the
cause of that message could be a few different things.

A few more items, maybe relevant: Currently I have VM computers defined
and available, associated with a working ESX host, both with and without
the new template in their currentimage field.

When I reload the image on a VM, that seems to go flawlessly, best we've
seen since we started this project: the VM boots, gets its networking
right, accepts SSH from the management node and gets its post-boot
reconfiguration done.  I'm logged into one now and everything looks just
fine.  But, not currently available.

Any ideas where to look next?  I'm stumped.

--
Michael Jinks :: mjinks@uchicago.edu :: 773-469-9688
University of Chicago IT Services

Re: Shibboleth user group creation and managment - Solved

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Al,

What did you update in shibauth/index.php?  My knowledge of Shibboleth is
somewhat limited, but I would not have thought it needed any changes, just a
change in how the shibboleth mappings are configured in
/etc/shibboleth/attribute-map.xml.

Josh

On Thursday, August 02, 2012 12:37:04 PM Evelio Quiros wrote:
> Hello Josh,
>
> Yes, that was the problem.
> I updated index.php in the shibauth directory, and mapped the affiliation
> attributes to the database.
> Now it works again. Thanks for your help.
>
> Al Quiros
> Florida International University
>
> On 8/1/12 4:36 PM, "Josh Thompson" <jo...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
> >
> >Al,
> >
> >There were not many changes to the code related to Shibboleth. It sounds
> >like
> >Shibboleth may not be passing the correct affiliation information for the
> >student user to the VCL web code.  You can create a file in vcl/shibauth
> >named
> >shibdata.php with the following in it to see what is getting passed to
> >the VCL
> >code by Shibboleth:
> >
> ><?php
> >print "<pre>";
> >print_r($_SERVER);
> >print "</pre>";
> >}
> >?>
> >
> >Then, open https://your.vcl.site/vcl/shibauth/shibdata.php with the
> >problematic user logged in to see if anything is set for [affiliation].
> >If
> >you do not, or the field is just an empty string, then VCL is not getting
> >the
> >data from Shibboleth.
> >
> >Josh
> >
> >On Wednesday, August 01, 2012 5:06:34 PM Evelio Quiros wrote:
> >> Hello All,
> >>
> >> We just upgraded our 2.2.1 installation to 2.3.
> >>
> >> Before update, students were able to login and be put into a
> >> "shib-student" group.
> >> VCL would have created the group on first login.
> >> But after the upgrade, students can still login, but the VCL did not
> >> create the shib-student group.
> >>
> >> I added the group manually to the database as a federated group, but
> >> student logins are not being put into it.
> >>
> >> Staff can login using Shibboleth, and they are put into the shib-staff
> >> group ok.
> >>
> >> Did something change in the way VCL handles Shibboleth with the new
> >> version ?
> >> Did I forget to copy over a config from the old site ?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Al Q
> >> FIU
> >
> >- --
> >- -------------------------------
> >Josh Thompson
> >VCL Developer
> >North Carolina State University
> >
> >my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu
> >
> >All electronic mail messages in connection with State business which
> >are sent to or received by this account are subject to the NC Public
> >Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.
- --
- -------------------------------

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: Shibboleth user group creation and managment - Solved

Posted by Evelio Quiros <ev...@fiu.edu>.
Hello Josh,

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Al,

There were not many changes to the code related to Shibboleth. It sounds like
Shibboleth may not be passing the correct affiliation information for the
student user to the VCL web code.  You can create a file in vcl/shibauth named
shibdata.php with the following in it to see what is getting passed to the VCL
code by Shibboleth:

<?php
print "<pre>";
print_r($_SERVER);
print "</pre>";
}
?>

Then, open https://your.vcl.site/vcl/shibauth/shibdata.php with the
problematic user logged in to see if anything is set for [affiliation].  If
you do not, or the field is just an empty string, then VCL is not getting the
data from Shibboleth.

Josh

On Wednesday, August 01, 2012 5:06:34 PM Evelio Quiros wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> We just upgraded our 2.2.1 installation to 2.3.
>
> Before update, students were able to login and be put into a
> "shib-student" group.
> VCL would have created the group on first login.
> But after the upgrade, students can still login, but the VCL did not
> create the shib-student group.
>
> I added the group manually to the database as a federated group, but
> student logins are not being put into it.
>
> Staff can login using Shibboleth, and they are put into the shib-staff
> group ok.
>
> Did something change in the way VCL handles Shibboleth with the new
> version ?
> Did I forget to copy over a config from the old site ?
>
> Thanks,
> Al Q
> FIU
- --
- -------------------------------

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

FW: Shibboleth user group creation and managment

Posted by Evelio Quiros <ev...@fiu.edu>.

Re: Image captures, loads, but not available for reservation

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

The wiki documentation is definitely not organized well.  We're trying to get
things organized much better in the new CMS:

http://vcl.apache.org

Josh

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: Image captures, loads, but not available for reservation

Posted by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>.

Posted by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>.
Thanks Josh.

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.