Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by David Van Couvering <da...@vancouvering.com> on 2009/05/26 06:05:38 UTC

Too many processes

Hi, all. I am using v0.9.0 on MacOS, and I have deployed some couchapps to
it. Whenever I leave it running for a while (say overnight), I come back and
it is spitting out "=== ERROR REPORT === too many processes" over and over
again and I have to restart couchdb.

Any ideas what could be causing this?  Googling didn't show me very much to
go on.

Thanks,

David

--
David W. Van Couvering

http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidvc
http://davidvancouvering.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/dcouvering

Re: Too many processes

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 26 May 2009, at 18:10, David Van Couvering wrote:

> Yes, it does happen after resume, this seems to be the culprit based
> on all
> the responses.  Good as new after the processes terminate, you say?
> OK,
> I'll give that a shot.
>
> Might be worth adding to the FAQ?

Nah, it should be fixed. -- I think it is the timers we use for the
stats API
get fired (which causes a process spawn) after wakeup. So for each
second while sleeping you get a process. When you hit 32k processes
(the Erlang VM default setting), you get the error message.

A custom timer module that skips expired timers will help here. Any
takers? :)

Cheers
Jan

Re: Too many processes

Posted by David Van Couvering <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Too many processes

Posted by Jeremy Wall <jw...@google.com>.
I get the same thing when the mac goes to sleep. It seems to be mostly
harmless.

Sent from my G1 google phone

On May 26, 2009 6:56 AM, "Robert Dionne" <di...@dionne-associates.com>
wrote:

same here, it's caused when you put the MAC to sleep and seems to be largely
harmless

On May 26, 2009, at 4:59 AM, Benoit Chesneau wrote: > 2009/5/26 Jan Lehnardt
<ja...@apache.org>:...

Re: Too many processes

Posted by Robert Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.

Re: Too many processes

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Too many processes

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Too many processes

Posted by Arun Thampi <ar...@gmail.com>.
I remember encountering a similar problem and solving it by setting the +P
emulator flag to a very high value. I did this in the /usr/local/bin/couchdb
file by modifying the *interactive_option* variable being passed to erl.
Maybe there is a cleaner way?
>From the erl man page (http://erlang.org/doc/man/erl.html):

+P NumberSets the maximum number of concurrent processes for this system.
Number must be in the range 16..134217727. Default is 32768.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Arun

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 4:27 PM, Paul Carey <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW, I get this too, almost every time after waking my machine up
> from its slumber. (0.9.0 on OS X 10.5.6)
>
> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 5:05 AM, David Van Couvering
> <da...@vancouvering.com> wrote:
> > Hi, all. I am using v0.9.0 on MacOS, and I have deployed some couchapps
> > it. Whenever I leave it running for a while (say overnight), I come back
> and
> > it is spitting out "=== ERROR REPORT === too many processes" over and
> over
> > again and I have to restart couchdb.
> >
> > Any ideas what could be causing this?  Googling didn't show me very much
> > go on.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > David
> >
> > --
> > David W. Van Couvering
> >
> > http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidvc
> > http://davidvancouvering.blogspot.com
> > http://twitter.com/dcouvering

--
It's better to be a pirate than join the Navy - Steve Jobs
http://arunthampi.wordpress.com

Re: Too many processes

Posted by Paul Carey <pa...@gmail.com>.