Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2013/09/20 12:36:51 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC3

The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 3 is now available
for voting.

Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
equivalent to an alpha. The main changes since RC1 are:
- Updated spec implementations with results of various "grey area"
discussions from the EG mailing lists
- Now uses UTF-8 by default
- Switch to async logging and one-line log format by default
- New doc style
- Refactored TLD parsing (work in progress)
- Fixed all the issues reported against RC1 & RC2
- Add Servlet 3.1 non-blocking support to the AJP connectors
- Fix an issue with the new WebResources and packed WAR files

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC3/
The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-080/
The svn tag is:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC3/

The proposed 8.0.0-RC3 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC3 alpha

Cheers,

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC3

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>.
2013/9/20 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 3 is now available
> for voting.
>
> Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
> equivalent to an alpha. The main changes since RC1 are:
> - Updated spec implementations with results of various "grey area"
> discussions from the EG mailing lists
> - Now uses UTF-8 by default
> - Switch to async logging and one-line log format by default
> - New doc style
> - Refactored TLD parsing (work in progress)
> - Fixed all the issues reported against RC1 & RC2
> - Add Servlet 3.1 non-blocking support to the AJP connectors
> - Fix an issue with the new WebResources and packed WAR files
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC3/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-080/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC3/
>
> The proposed 8.0.0-RC3 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC3 alpha

Checked with some applications that are using the new specifications
features.

Regards
Violeta

[RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC3

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
+1 (alpha) : binding - markt, schultz, rjung, jfarcand
             non-binding - Martin Grigorov

No other votes were cast. The vote therefore passes.

I'll start the process of releasing the bits.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 23/09/2013 06:20, Henri Gomez wrote:
> Hi Mark
>
> What kind of tests, specific to TC 8.0 are awaited to 'qualify' ?

Not sure what you mean.

The only tests we have are the unit tests. We do not have access to the
Java EE 7 TCKs.

In terms of this release, I am personally happy if the unit tests pass
on all three platforms I have available. I'm keen to get wider feedback
from our users and that needs a formal release.

In terms of the alpha -> beta -> stable transition, I plan on including
beta in the options once we have an RC that doesn't have any show
stopper issues. i.e. I'm expecting 8.0.0 to be beta.

For beta -> stable, that will depend on the rate and severity of bug
reports we get. My guess it stable will be early next year but who
knows. Tomcat is pretty stable already and then unit tests seem to be
doing a good job catching issues with the new functionality so maybe it
could be sooner.

Mark

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 20.09.2013 12:36, Mark Thomas wrote:

> The proposed 8.0.0-RC3 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC3 alpha

+1 as alpha.

Overview:

- MD5 OK
- signatures OK
- key in KEYS file
- gz and zip for src and bin consistent
- src consistent with svn tag
- builds fine but
  - Few warning about unsafe or unchecked operations.
    Only 0 or 1 new one, some of the RC1 ones are fixed.
    See full list at end of mail.
- build result looks consistent with binaries
- no checkstyle complaints
- no Javadoc warnings
- some small MBean data changes
! One unit test failure in TestWebappClassLoaderExecutorMemoryLeak
  - analysis ongoing, not a regression
  Repeated execution also sometimes show a hang in the unit test.
- Warnings, errors and exception counts during unit tests a bit
  higher than for RC 1
- JMX MBean-Comparison with RC 1:
  - 2 new MBeans for Example servlets numberwriter and bytecounter
  - MBean j2eeType=Filter,name=Set Character Encoding,
                   WebModule=//localhost/examples, ...
    attribute filterInitParameterMap changed from
      "{encoding=EUC_JP, ignore=true}" to
      "{encoding=UTF-8, ignore=false}"
  - MBean Catalina:j2eeType=WebModule,*
    - attributes tldNamespaceAware and tldValidation are gone
    - attribute tldScanTime is always 0
  - MBean Catalina:type=Connector,*
       new attribute URIEncoding value UTF-8
  - MBean Catalina:type=ProtocolHandler,port=8080
    new attribute maxExtensionSize value 8192
    (attribute does not exist for 8009 AJP ProtocolHandler
     but the attribute structure for those two MBeans is quite
     different from each other)
  - platform MBean java.lang:type=Runtime in system property
    tomcat.util.scan.StandardJarScanFilter.jarsToSkip
    new entry websocket-api.jar
  - platform MBean java.lang:type=OperatingSystem show 87 open file
    descriptors instead of 88
  - platform MBean java.lang:type=Threading shows 19 threads instead of
    18 threads

Build and tests were done using Java 1.7.0_40. OS was Solaris 10 Sparc,
tcnative was 1.1.28 based on APR 1.4.8 and OpenSSL 1.0.1e (plus a few
patches).

Unit test warnings: 108
  - 42 more than RC1
  - most additional ones in tribes, especially going up from 27 to 59:
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.NonBlockingCoordinator.sendElectionMsgToNextInline
Unable to send election message
to:org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.MemberImpl[tcp://
  - 8 new ones:
      org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractEndpoint.shutdownExecutor The
executor associated with thread pool [http-apr-127.0.0.1-auto-I] has not
fully shutdown. Some application threads may still be running.
  - 2 ones gone:
      IOException in replication worker, unable to drain channel.
Probable cause: Keep alive socket closed[null].

Unit test SEVERE messages: 457 total (+18 rel RC1).

- 6 times SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet [regular] in context
with path [] threw exception

- 3 times SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet [servlet] in context
with path [] threw exception

- 7 times SEVERE: The web application [] appears to have started a
thread named [pool-1-thread-X] but has failed to stop it. This is very
likely to create a memory leak.

- 2 times SEVERE: Exception while processing an asynchronous request

- 4 times SEVERE: Error processing coordination message. Could be fatal.

- 4 times less SEVERE: Error reading request, ignored

- 4 times SEVERE: Error configuring application listener of class
org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.ApplicationListener@HEX replaced
with SEVERE: Error configuring application listener of class
org.apache.catalina.core.NoSuchListener

Here's the top 20 SEVERE messages:

Count  Message
  48 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor Error
deploying configuration descriptor
/.../output/test-tmp/conf/Tomcat/localhost/myapp.xml
  48 org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal
ContainerBase.addChild: start:
  36 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke
Servlet.service() for servlet [dispatch] in context with path [] threw
exception [Opps.] with root cause
  36 org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke
Servlet.service() for servlet error threw exception
  27 org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.startElement Begin event
threw exception
  21 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal Error
listenerStart
  15 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke
Servlet.service() for servlet [servlet] in context with path [] threw
exception
  13 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.clearReferencesThreads
The web application [] appears to have started a thread named
[pool-x-thread-y] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to
create a memory leak.
  12
org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.SecurityConstraint.findUncoveredHttpMethods
For security constraints with URL pattern [/] only the HTTP methods
[POST] are covered. All other methods are uncovered.
  12 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal Context
[/examples] startup failed due to previous errors
  12 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Exception
sending context initialized event to listener instance of class
websocket.echo.WsConfigListener
  10
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.NonBlockingCoordinator.messageReceived
Error processing coordination message. Could be fatal.
   9
org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.SecurityConstraint.findUncoveredHttpMethods
For security constraints with URL pattern [/test] only the HTTP methods
[POST] are covered. All other methods are uncovered.
   9 org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.beforeStart Exception
fixing docBase for context [/myapp]
   6
org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.SecurityConstraint.findUncoveredHttpMethods
For security constraints with URL pattern [/] only the HTTP methods
[GET] are covered. All other methods are uncovered.
   6 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.clearReferencesThreads
The web application [] is still processing a request that has yet to
finish. This is very likely to create a memory leak. You can control the
time allowed for requests to finish by using the unloadDelay attribute
of the standard Context implementation.
   6 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke
Servlet.service() for servlet [regular] in context with path [] threw
exception
   6 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke
Servlet.service() for servlet [jsp] in context with path [/test] threw
exception [/bug49nnn/bug49297DuplicateAttr.jsp (line: 21, column: 46)
Attribute qualified names must be unique within an element] with root cause
   6 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.event
Servlet.service() for servlet [comet] in context with path [] threw
exception
   6 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal Context
[/myapp] startup failed due to previous errors

"Exception" in output of unit tests: 493 times (+18 rel. RC1).

- 6 times Exception in thread "WebSocketClient-AsyncIO-X"
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Writing not allowed due to timeout or
cancellation
- 6 times java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to process parts as no
multi-part configuration has been provided
- 9 times instead of 3 times
org.apache.catalina.tribes.ChannelException: Sender not connected.; No
faulty members identified.
- 3 times java.io.IOException: maxExtensionSize exceeded
- 2 times org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.asyncDispatch
Exception while processing an asynchronous request

and some other deltas

Top exception counts:

Count Exception
  75 javax.servlet.ServletException: Opps.
  48 org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component
[StandardEngine[Tomcat].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/myapp]]
  48 java.lang.IllegalStateException: ContainerBase.addChild: start:
org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component
[StandardEngine[Tomcat].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/myapp]]
  48 Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start
component [org.apache.catalina.webresources.StandardRoot@HEX]
  39 Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The main resource
set specified [/.../output/test-tmp/webapps/myapp] is not valid
  17 java.lang.NullPointerException
  12 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Exception
sending context initialized event to listener instance of class
websocket.echo.WsConfigListener
   9 org.apache.catalina.tribes.ChannelException: Sender not connected.;
No faulty members identified.
   9 org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.beforeStart Exception
fixing docBase for context [/myapp]
   9 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: <ordering> element is limited
to 1 occurrence
   9 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: <name> element is limited to 1
occurrence
   9 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: <absolute-ordering> element is
limited to 1 occurrence
   9 java.io.IOException: Invalid CRLF, no CR character encountered.
   9 java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/.../output/test-tmp/external/external.war (No such file or directory)
   9 Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The main resource
set specified [/.../output/test-tmp/external/external.war] is not valid
   6 org.apache.jasper.JasperException:
/bug49nnn/bug49297DuplicateAttr.jsp (line: 21, column: 46) Attribute
qualified names must be unique within an element
   6 java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to process parts as no
multi-part configuration has been provided
   6 java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.catalina.core.NoSuchListener
   4 org.apache.catalina.tribes.transport.nio.NioReplicationTask.run
IOException in replication worker, unable to drain channel. Probable
cause: Keep alive socket closed[null].
   4 javax.net.ssl.SSLProtocolException: handshake alert: no_certificate

As always I'm not claiming that any of the SEVERE or Exception messages
are important.

"unchecked" warnings during build:

Tipis
=====

All known

    [javac]
/shared/build/dev/tomcat/read-write/trunk-clean/java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:641:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked cast
    [javac]                 entry = new MapEntry<>((K) mapmsg.getKey(),
(V) mapmsg.getValue());
    [javac]                                                         ^
    [javac]   required: K
    [javac]   found:    Serializable
    [javac]   where K is a type-variable:
    [javac]     K extends Object declared in class AbstractReplicatedMap
    [javac]
/shared/build/dev/tomcat/read-write/trunk-clean/java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:641:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked cast
    [javac]                 entry = new MapEntry<>((K) mapmsg.getKey(),
(V) mapmsg.getValue());
    [javac]
                   ^
    [javac]   required: V
    [javac]   found:    Serializable
    [javac]   where V is a type-variable:
    [javac]     V extends Object declared in class AbstractReplicatedMap
    [javac]
/shared/build/dev/tomcat/read-write/trunk-clean/java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:666:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked cast
    [javac]                         if ( mapmsg.getValue()!=null )
entry.setValue((V) mapmsg.getValue());
    [javac]
                             ^
    [javac]   required: V
    [javac]   found:    Serializable
    [javac]   where V is a type-variable:
    [javac]     V extends Object declared in class AbstractReplicatedMap
    [javac]
/shared/build/dev/tomcat/read-write/trunk-clean/java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:672:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked cast
    [javac]                     entry.setValue((V) re);
    [javac]                                        ^
    [javac]   required: V
    [javac]   found:    ReplicatedMapEntry
    [javac]   where V is a type-variable:
    [javac]     V extends Object declared in class AbstractReplicatedMap
    [javac]
/shared/build/dev/tomcat/read-write/trunk-clean/java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:674:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked cast
    [javac]                     if ( mapmsg.getValue()!=null )
entry.setValue((V) mapmsg.getValue());
    [javac]
                         ^
    [javac]   required: V
    [javac]   found:    Serializable
    [javac]   where V is a type-variable:
    [javac]     V extends Object declared in class AbstractReplicatedMap

JDBC-Pool
=========

    [javac]
/shared/build/dev/tomcat/read-write/trunk-clean/modules/jdbc-pool/src/main/java/org/apache/tomcat/jdbc/pool/PoolProperties.java:973:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked cast
    [javac]             return (Class<? extends JdbcInterceptor>)clazz;
    [javac]                                                      ^
    [javac]   required: Class<? extends JdbcInterceptor>
    [javac]   found:    Class<CAP#1>
    [javac]   where CAP#1 is a fresh type-variable:
    [javac]     CAP#1 extends Object from capture of ?

DBCP
====

All known:

    [javac]
/shared/build/dev/tomcat/deps/tomcat8-deps/tomcat8-deps/dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/BasicDataSource.java:1782:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked call to
GenericObjectPool(PooledObjectFactory<T>,GenericObjectPoolConfig,AbandonedConfig)
as a member of the raw type GenericObjectPool
    [javac]             gop = new GenericObjectPool(factory, new
GenericObjectPoolConfig(),
    [javac]                   ^
    [javac]   where T is a type-variable:
    [javac]     T extends Object declared in class GenericObjectPool
    [javac]
/shared/build/dev/tomcat/deps/tomcat8-deps/tomcat8-deps/dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/BasicDataSource.java:1786:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked call to
GenericObjectPool(PooledObjectFactory<T>) as a member of the raw type
GenericObjectPool
    [javac]             gop = new GenericObjectPool(factory);
    [javac]                   ^
    [javac]   where T is a type-variable:
    [javac]     T extends Object declared in class GenericObjectPool
    [javac]
/shared/build/dev/tomcat/deps/tomcat8-deps/tomcat8-deps/dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/BasicDataSource.java:1799:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked conversion
    [javac]         factory.setPool(gop);
    [javac]                         ^
    [javac]   required: ObjectPool<PoolableConnection>
    [javac]   found:    GenericObjectPool
    [javac]
/shared/build/dev/tomcat/deps/tomcat8-deps/tomcat8-deps/dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/BasicDataSource.java:1800:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked conversion
    [javac]         connectionPool = gop;
    [javac]                          ^
    [javac]   required: GenericObjectPool<Connection>
    [javac]   found:    GenericObjectPool
    [javac]
/shared/build/dev/tomcat/deps/tomcat8-deps/tomcat8-deps/dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/pool2/impl/LinkedBlockingDeque.java:1180:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked cast
    [javac]             E item = (E)s.readObject();
    [javac]                                     ^
    [javac]   required: E
    [javac]   found:    Object
    [javac]   where E is a type-variable:
    [javac]     E extends Object declared in class LinkedBlockingDeque
    [javac]
/shared/build/dev/tomcat/deps/tomcat8-deps/tomcat8-deps/dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/PoolableCallableStatement.java:78:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked call to returnObject(K,V) as a member of
the raw type KeyedObjectPool
    [javac]                 _pool.returnObject(_key,this);
    [javac]                                   ^
    [javac]   where K,V are type-variables:
    [javac]     K extends Object declared in interface KeyedObjectPool
    [javac]     V extends Object declared in interface KeyedObjectPool
    [javac]
/shared/build/dev/tomcat/deps/tomcat8-deps/tomcat8-deps/dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/PoolingConnection.java:291:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked call to
PoolablePreparedStatement(PreparedStatement,K,KeyedObjectPool<K,PoolablePreparedStatement<K,S>>,Connection)
as a member of the raw type PoolablePreparedStatement
    [javac]                             new
PoolablePreparedStatement(getDelegate().prepareStatement( key.getSql()),
key, _pstmtPool, this));
    [javac]                             ^
    [javac]   where K,S are type-variables:
    [javac]     K extends Object declared in class PoolablePreparedStatement
    [javac]     S extends PoolablePreparedStatement<K,S> declared in
class PoolablePreparedStatement
    [javac]
/shared/build/dev/tomcat/deps/tomcat8-deps/tomcat8-deps/dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/PoolingConnection.java:299:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked call to
PoolablePreparedStatement(PreparedStatement,K,KeyedObjectPool<K,PoolablePreparedStatement<K,S>>,Connection)
as a member of the raw type PoolablePreparedStatement
    [javac]                             new
PoolablePreparedStatement(getDelegate().prepareStatement(
    [javac]                             ^
    [javac]   where K,S are type-variables:
    [javac]     K extends Object declared in class PoolablePreparedStatement
    [javac]     S extends PoolablePreparedStatement<K,S> declared in
class PoolablePreparedStatement
    [javac]
/shared/build/dev/tomcat/deps/tomcat8-deps/tomcat8-deps/dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/pool2/impl/PoolImplUtils.java:86:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked cast
    [javac]                 (Class<? extends T>) clazz.getSuperclass();
    [javac]                                                         ^
    [javac]   required: Class<? extends T>
    [javac]   found:    Class<CAP#1>
    [javac]   where T is a type-variable:
    [javac]     T extends Object declared in method
<T>getGenericType(Class<T>,Class<? extends T>)
    [javac]   where CAP#1,CAP#2 are fresh type-variables:
    [javac]     CAP#1 extends Object super: CAP#2 from capture of ?
super CAP#2
    [javac]     CAP#2 extends T from capture of ? extends T

Regards,

Rainer

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC3

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 9/20/13 6:36 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 3 is now available
> for voting.
>
> Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
> equivalent to an alpha. The main changes since RC1 are:
> - Updated spec implementations with results of various "grey area"
> discussions from the EG mailing lists
> - Now uses UTF-8 by default
> - Switch to async logging and one-line log format by default
> - New doc style
> - Refactored TLD parsing (work in progress)
> - Fixed all the issues reported against RC1 & RC2
> - Add Servlet 3.1 non-blocking support to the AJP connectors
> - Fix an issue with the new WebResources and packed WAR files
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC3/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-080/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC3/
>
> The proposed 8.0.0-RC3 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC3 alpha

Debian Linux 2.6, x86_84
Oracle Java 1.7.0_40, 64-bit Server VM

Binary ZIP and tarball are the same
Source ZIP and tarball are the same
MD5 sums are okay
GPG sigs are okay
Checkstyle is happy
tcnative builds fine, with some "notes"
Unit tests pass (except Tribes, known to fail in my environment)

Quick smoke test on my own web application (no new features e.g.
Websocket are in use) shows no problems (and the hundreds of WARNING
logs are now gone).

Looks good to me.

-chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC3

Posted by Jeanfrancois Arcand <jf...@gmail.com>.
[X] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC3 alpha

Tested with Atmosphere jsr356 and Servlet 3 Async API.

-- Jeanfrancois

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 3 is now available
> for voting.
>
> Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
> equivalent to an alpha. The main changes since RC1 are:
> - Updated spec implementations with results of various "grey area"
> discussions from the EG mailing lists
> - Now uses UTF-8 by default
> - Switch to async logging and one-line log format by default
> - New doc style
> - Refactored TLD parsing (work in progress)
> - Fixed all the issues reported against RC1 & RC2
> - Add Servlet 3.1 non-blocking support to the AJP connectors
> - Fix an issue with the new WebResources and packed WAR files
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC3/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-080/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC3/
>
> The proposed 8.0.0-RC3 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC3 alpha

Apache Wicket Native WebSockets based on JSR356 works fine.