Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Greg Spitzer <Gr...@toltech.net> on 2007/05/14 18:54:38 UTC

Tomcat without JSVC

Hi,

I'm trying to run Tomcat for development purposes by just starting it
up from bin/startup.sh rather than using JSVC as I did with previous
pre 5.5 versions. However, when I try to run Tomcat via the
startup.sh script, I get the following error in the catalina.out log
file and it doesn't startup:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Server/Web

I've checked and it appears everything (JRE_HOME, CATALINA_HOME, etc)
is getting setup properly so I'm not sure where to look next.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Re: Tomcat without JSVC

Posted by Greg Spitzer <Gr...@toltech.net>.
This problem has been solved and was due to a bad download. I have re-
downloaded from a different mirror and everything works now. Sorry to
bother.

Thanks,

Greg

Re: Tomcat without JSVC

Posted by Greg Spitzer <Gr...@toltech.net>.
Wow, I had done that once already but figured I would try again and
everything works with version 5.5 and 6.0. It appears that my
download came from a different mirror this time.

I double checked, and the mirror I originally used was http://
apache.siamwebhosting.com and when I do and md5 hash of the zip file
I downloaded I get 5d4e0d7632c5ccf43bd684655fba42d6 as opposed to
145ea3ac0053d599c2a3601c12e6eca2. Is there someone I should notify of
this problem? I also just re-downloaded from this mirror and got the
same result so I don't think it was a problem in the transfer that
caused it.

I guess I should have checked the md5 checksum of my download before
troubling the list, thanks for your help though.

BTW - This also fixed the problem I was having with getting configure
to work in a previous post.

Thanks,

Greg

RE: Tomcat without JSVC

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Greg Spitzer [mailto:Greg.Spitzer@toltech.net]
> Subject: Tomcat without JSVC
>
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Server/Web

No such class is used in a standard Tomcat download.  If you haven't
done so already, try installing a fresh copy from
http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi and see how that wotks.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.