Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com> on 2007/12/11 21:42:45 UTC

Maven binary assemblies on central?

As you've all heard endlessly by now, we're running a lot of integration
tests in the new Surefire 2.4; these integration tests are currently
designed to just fork/run the current version of Maven (discovered from
the M2_HOME env var or an optional system property) on a set of checked-in
projects.

It would be cool to have the integration tests be able to automatically
run older released versions of Maven, grabbing their distribution zips off
of central, and then extract/run them on-the-fly.

Poking around on central, I see that 2.0.8 has a bin-zip in
maven-core/2.0.8, but 2.0.7 doesn't; 2.0.6 does, but 2.0.5 and 2.0.4
don't.  Is the bin-zip for 2.0.7 somewhere else on central, or is it only
available on archive.apache.org?

-Dan

Re: Maven binary assemblies on central?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 11 Dec 07, at 12:42 PM 11 Dec 07, Dan Fabulich wrote:

> As you've all heard endlessly by now, we're running a lot of
> integration tests in the new Surefire 2.4; these integration tests
> are currently designed to just fork/run the current version of Maven
> (discovered from the M2_HOME env var or an optional system property)
> on a set of checked-in projects.
>
> It would be cool to have the integration tests be able to
> automatically run older released versions of Maven, grabbing their
> distribution zips off of central, and then extract/run them on-the-
> fly.
>
> Poking around on central, I see that 2.0.8 has a bin-zip in maven-
> core/2.0.8, but 2.0.7 doesn't; 2.0.6 does, but 2.0.5 and 2.0.4
> don't.  Is the bin-zip for 2.0.7 somewhere else on central, or is it
> only available on archive.apache.org?

We are discouraged from putting the assemblies in the repository by
the board so that people use the standard channels to download ASF
software. The release distributions are not supposed to be in the
repository.

> -Dan

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Maven binary assemblies on central?

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 to put the assembly up on the central. I currently deploy the
assemblies ( maven, tomcat, etc ) to my internal repo for automation
purposes

-D