Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Yet Another Ninja <sa...@alexb.ch> on 2007/10/18 09:51:38 UTC

coming to your inbox: mp3 stock spams

Y_A_N

Re: coming to your inbox: mp3 stock spams

Posted by Xueron Nee <xu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yet Another Ninja,

Yes. We found a lot of such spams these days. more and more.

Any good ideas?

--
Xueron Nee <xu...@gmail.com>

Re: coming to your inbox: mp3 stock spams

Posted by Luis Hernán Otegui <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Rob,

2007/10/19, Rob Sterenborg <R....@netsourcing.nl>:
> Luis Hernán Otegui wrote:
> > Anyway, the Faculty I work for tries to keep the e-mail system only
> > for research purposes, and mostly students and (sadly) technicians
> > tend to goof around with mail. Bandwidth isn't cheap here, so they
> > decided to straightly cut those extensions. Remember, the customer is
> > always right...
>
> If you'd just block out the extensions and I were a student in your faculty and wanted to send an MP3 or something, then I'd just goof a bit more and rename a .mp3 to a .txt, just because I can get around that. That's what I think (most) students do if they're clever enough.
> Of course blocking extensions is cheap in CPU/mem resources but IMHO it's not the way to go. Inspecting the attachments checking for filetypes to block is more intensive but also much much harder to omit. Of course, you can still block these extensions... :-)
>

> Rob

Well, this is getting a little bit off topic, but I guess it's worth
it, since I'm learning from others practices... Anyway, I feel like
I've "misexpressed" myself. When I wrote "we block these extensions",
what I meant was that we do perform content scanning and deny those
file types. If we wouldn`t do it, as you said, sending mp3s would be
as easy as to enclose them inside a .rar, .zip., .cab, .ace, or
whatever compressed file you'd like.

Luis

GNU-GPL: "May The Source Be With You...
Linux Registered User #448382.
When I grow up, I wanna be like Theo...

RE: coming to your inbox: mp3 stock spams

Posted by Rob Sterenborg <R....@netsourcing.nl>.

Posted by Luis Hernán Otegui <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Per

2007/10/18, Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>:
> Luis Hernán Otegui wrote:
>
> > We block .avi, .mp3, .mpg, etc. here, because we think it's a waste of
> > bandwith to share those extensions via email,
>
> Voicemail (from a mobile for instance) is quite often sent in .wav
> or .mp3 format, so we don't just plainly block those.
>

> /Per Jessen, Zürich

Well, maybe in your country, but here in Argentina, voicemail is
merely an utopic wish ;-).

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.

Posted by Luis Hernán Otegui <lu...@gmail.com>.
Well,

2007/10/18, ram <ra...@netcore.co.in>:
> On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 09:51 +0200, Yet Another Ninja wrote:
> > coming to your inbox: mp3 stock spams
>
> Atleast 70% of email users dont have their speakers on, the spammer has
> got his basics wrong

We block .avi, .mp3, .mpg, etc. here, because we think it's a waste of
bandwith to share those extensions via email, so that explains why
amavis-logwatch showed a big hop on the blocked extensions section...

But, as ram says, it seems too stupid to me. Maybe it's a
proof-of-concept. Spammers are trying to make the SA dev team focus on
these small things, instead of kkeping the good work they're doing...

Just my two pesos (USD 0.62)

Posted by ram <ra...@netcore.co.in>.