Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Reizinger Zoltán <zr...@hdsnet.hu> on 2011/07/11 13:03:47 UTC

Extensions and templates site down

Hi All,

The two sites works sporadically, needs four five web page refresh to load:
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/

To help OOo present users, needs to stabilize sites work.

Somebody knows what the cause of this problem.

Thanks,
Zoltan

Re: Extensions and templates site down

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.
On 11/07/2011 TJ Frazier wrote:
> On 7/11/2011 07:28, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> > Yes, I posted some more details in this message a few weeks ago:
> > http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201106.mbox/browser
> > and I don't have further updates available. ...
> Andrea Pescetti's helpful message is easier to find here:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201106.mbox/%3c1308391724.2986.34.camel@localhost.localdomain%3e

Indeed. Thanks for digging it up from my link, I realize I sent just the
generic archive link...

> Just for fun, I tried looking up
> OSUOSL's service ticket #18367, but their website was impenetrable

I was put in CC of the ticket by Thorsten Bosbach of Oracle, and as far
as I know there is no web interface; unfortunately, I don't know how to
add other people in CC or check the ticket history, I just know that I
didn't receive further updates.

Regards,
  Andrea.

Re: Extensions and templates site down

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jul 12, 2011, at 10:59 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> On 12/07/2011 Simon Phipps wrote:
>> TDF are just about to launch a full version of their extensions &
>> templates system and they would be perfectly happy for AOOo to redirect the
>> URL that OpenOffice.org is using to access the repository so that it uses
>> the system TDF are hosting for LibreOffice.
>
> While I believe cooperation would be nice and I've written for months
> that I don't support the idea to host OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice
> extensions on separate sites, we should get facts straight on this.
>
> The LibreOffice extensions site is being developed for two reasons:
> 1) the Document Foundation doesn't want to depend on *.openoffice.org
>   sites (and in this case it cannot, since on the launch day it
>   promised to only offer free software extensions).
> 2) http://extensions.services.openoffice.org was unreachable at times.
> Now, reason 1 does not exactly go in the direction of a shared resource,
> while reason 2 is now obsolete: the site is now fixed and the problems
> were in the caching server, NOT in the OOo extensions site.
>
> If we are to use a common resource, then let's go for the best one,
> which is (don't consider the URL!) the one currently living at
> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org . Reasons: mature, tested,
> nicer, flexible, populated with hundreds of extensions.
>
> With a bit (quite a bit) of customization it could even be tweaked so
> that is is accessible, say, both as http://extensions.openoffice.org and
> http://extensions.libreoffice.org and that it shows different branding
> depending on the URL; it could even be set up so that non-free
> extensions are hidden when browsing it in "LibreOffice mode".

That can certainly be done.

> This would be a really shared resource, where anybody can submit
> extensions that anybody can download and use regardless of the software
> he is using, and where all identities are respected. It could of course
> be extended to other derivatives and it would be a remarkable example of
> something useful to the whole community.

+1 and the key is not so much the site in front as it is the repository behind it.

Maybe we should have a shared repository somewhere with agreed upon metadata and files all stored in a repository. A bunch of mirrors and alternative front-ends are possible.

Each project (OpenOffice.org, LibreOffice, Lotus Symphony, RedOffice, ....) would then be responsible for validating the extension vs. product versions. In addition the license could be reviewed and be marked for compatibility with either ASF, FSF, dual license commercial, etc.

Having a repository with credentials etc. would be a good separation of concerns. UIs like extensions.services.openoffice.org and http://extensions.libreoffice.org become read-only front-ends. Contributors of extensions and templates would request a directory within the repository and then get direct access to use which ever front end they prefer to maintain their repository.

Projects can query for new extensions and templates to test and then indicate the revisions that are "tested" for each version.

Please feel free to start a migration plan for extensions and templates on the Community Wiki at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Extensions+and+templates

Please continue this thread.

Regards,
Dave

Re: Extensions and templates site down

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.

RE: [www] Ext / Temp repository stability ( was Extensions and templates site down )

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
In a distributed system, you also need to deal with security issues and the safety of the download.

It might mean that the directory contains signatures or something that the downloading app can use to validate what it gets from the download URL, especially if we are going to do silent downloads and installs when the user says go get-em.

There is probably other attack surface to identify as well.

 - Dennis

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.
Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Andy Brown<an...@the-martin-byrd.net>  wrote:
>> Rob Weir wrote:

>>> That logic doesn't follow.  Hypothetically there could be legacy
>>> OpenOffice.org URL's that contain Lady Gaga rips.  That doesn't mean
>>> we have ownership of the music.
>>>
>>> We own the URL.  We control what the URL points to.  But that doesn't
>>> mean we own what the URL points to.
>>>

>> Please read all that I wrote, "at least the name.  So the domain could be
>> hosted any where that the PPMC see fit."  I agree that we may not own the
>> content but if a 3rd party wished to host them the PPMC could give its
>> consent to do so and have the URLs point to that IP address.
>>

> OK. Sorry.  It sounds like we have a similar understanding then.  Our
> consent is not needed for them to host the extensions, but only for us
> to point (or redirect) our URL to their site.

Correct.

Andy

Re: [www] Ext / Temp repository stability ( was Extensions and templates site down )

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
2011/8/15 Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>:
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> wrote:

>> repository
>> the
>> would
>> authors.

>> > Hi Rob,
>> >
>> > Well, I'm not at all sure I agree with that, what exactly happened then
>> > when the Sun brand came off the site and the Oracle brand went up, that
>> > was window dressing with regards to the site name - Oracle could not of
>> > moved the site to xxx.oracleoffice.org even if they also maintained a
>> > live redirect of the old address?
>> >

>> Generally, you may do whatever the owner of the copyright allows you
>> to do.  The trick is to determine what the copyright owner allows you.
>>  With the lax attention to this detail by the OOo community over the
>> years, this important fact is hard to determine in many cases.  This
>> is something we should not seek to repeat at Apache.
>>
>> Not just with extensions, but throughout the project we are going to find a
>> mix:
>>
>> 1) Things we are certain we have rights to use, e.g., things in the
>> SGA, under Apache 2.0, things with clear provenance
>>
>> 2) Things that we are certain we do not have rights to use, e.g., GPL
>> components.
>>
>> 3) Things that we cannot determine whether or not we have rights to use.
>>
>> We're going to spend most of our time on that 3rd category.  But once
>> we've done that, and documented it, then we've improved the project
>> considerably and made it easier for us and others going forward.  But
>> it might require that we eliminate some contributions that were
>> otherwise excellent, because we cannot confirm our rights to use them.

> i would prefer a web form as in the existing repo

> The existing mechanism works quite well
>
> See also
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Extensions/Online_Update_of_Extensions
> and related sub chapters

> i would prefer a multi repo (catalog) approach directly from the office to
> allow maximal flexibility

> definitely,
> update is already possible but browsing extensions directly form the office
> is a long wanted feature. And not only for extensions. A new designed
> template dialog that allows browsing a template repo, download of templates
> for offline use, allows the upload in this repo (under Apache 2.0),
>
> But for both extensions and templates it is important that we make it
> configurable. Means it should be possible to disable it or to limit it to a
> specific repo only. This is important for enterprises with more
> restrictions. But it allows to manage a local repo for company wide used
> extensions and templates. A single place for maintenance (updates,
> bugifxes)  of these extensions/templates.

That is an excellent point.  The ability to define a corporate
extension catalog would be an important enterprise feature.

If could almost be like Atom or RSS -- items and feeds.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

#1, we are then under Apache rules for license, etc.   But we can use
Apache hardware.

Re: Future extensions registry hosting

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Tue, 2011-08-16 at 22:48 -0400, Shane Curcuru wrote:
> A couple of brief general comments:
>
> - Apache's mission is to provide software for the public good, under the
> Apache license or a fundamentally compatible one.  Hence, we do not
> distribute GPL code, for one example (see Category X licenses).
>
> - Apache projects typically must use Apache managed hardware for hosting
> websites and other important services.  This allows us to be
> self-sufficient in the case of outages, and ensure that we can control
> our own fate.
>
> - There are plenty of technical solutions for creating registries (i.e.
> metadata about and pointers to, but not necessarily hosting the source)
> of bits of software - both the httpd module stuff, various other obvious
> projects, and even our own Maven and Archiva projects.
>
> - It's clear that there are such a wide variety of services and bits of
> software hosted at URLs related to openoffice.org that we have quite a
> significant task ahead to maintaining as much of the existing services
> to the millions of end users, while also respecting Apache policies.
>
> - We have friends who work on the Google infrastructure behind
> apache-extras.org (and infra@ can put you in touch with people once
> there's some specific proposals, I hope)
>
> I'm sure we can figure ways to have us host the metadata and any
> appropriately licensed software, and have appropriate owners host any
> software that falls under other kinds of licenses.  But it's not going
> to be easy...

- but we need not make it harder then need be - so it seems past time to
start pulling specifics together on the wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Extensions+and
+templates

Will work on pulling specific items from the longish threads here into a
plan we can work through and issues to get there, on that page over the
weekend.

> And we shouldn't let it distract us too much from getting the actual
> product source code checked in and building, either!

Right!

//drew

Future extensions registry hosting

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
[...]

- Shane, dropping off to zleep... zzzzzzzz

Re: [www] Any Drupal guru's lurking? ( was : Ext / Temp ... ERRTHREADTOOLONG

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Is it just me, or has anyone else missed a number of important branding,
technology, and hosting questions in this thread, now that it's gone
down about 32 levels and changed subjects a few times?

Maybe I'm just tired tonight, but there are nuggets in here that are far
more important than what the subject currently implies.

Good night, all!

- Shane

Re: [www] Any Drupal guru's lurking? ( was : Ext / Temp repository stability ( was Extensions and templates site down ))

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Tue, 2011-08-16 at 14:45 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 1:58 PM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> >> I'll send this one then - and if needed the other after a day or so..;-)
> >
> > Alright - well just tried to hit the extension site (from the OO.o front
> > page) 6 times, 5 'connection reset', 1 time success - then clicked on
> > templates and 'connection reset'
> >
> > No hands up here yet that I've seen.
> >
> > People do want to have this site up, yes?
> >
> > So - I said I'd not be much help, that isn't the same as no help.
> >
> > I assume all the drupal setup is under version control, or is it just
> > the custom changes (with any schema changes) - either way I can setup a
> > VM here and see about tackling an update from 5 to 6 (not 7???)
> >

> What are you trying to accomplish?

Hi Rob

my understanding is that part of the solution is an upgrade of the
current site from Drupal 5 to 6 (and some work on caching) and this
upgrade includes working in the custom code. So that is what I am going
to try to do - on a test instance and when I'm done (assuming it works
out) to offer the change for use on the live site at OSUOSL.

Now I've installed Drupal maybe 7,8 times (versions 5,6) out of the box,
I've installed a few mods and done a little theming, but no hacking on
the core stuff, which it is my understanding was done here, so I would
love to have someone who knows more then I to do doing this, but I'll
give a try.

//drew

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Tue, 2011-08-16 at 13:27 -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Aug 16, 2011, at 1:14 PM, drew wrote:

> >> We had talked on another thread about a longer-term approach where we
> >> would host a registry of externally-hosted extensions.  That kind of
> >> solutions has a lot of attractive qualities.
> >>
> >> Do you know anything about the http modules registry, e.g., where the
> >> code is?  That might be something we could use to jump-start an
> >> extensions registry.  It has the basics.
> >

> > Alright - If I may just ask a couple of question.
> >
> > There is a current site, not on ASF or Oracle hardware, that site needs
> > work, now then:
> >
> > Is there some reason why the current OSUOSL site can not be used going
> > forward?
>
> It is undersized, saturated and that is why it is sporadic and then goes away.
>
> It is so bad they (OSUOSL) turned off Nagios. Now whether or not it can be made to work better is a detail that support@osuosl.org will need to answer.
>
> We need them to let you in to the box.

OK - well, didn't send any emails yet, glad I didn't. Did however catch
up on the emails here and on the proper OO.o mailing list.

So - I'm way, way behind the curve here - the Drupal 5 to 6 update
already happened. It helped some, but not enough - One person thinks a
move from 6 to 7, bringing a change in caching architecture would maybe
do the trick, but back in May they thought it was too soon to do yet
another upgrade.

There are inks to usage reports that show what is happening with the
Apache servers running the service, etc.

So again, I think it makes sense to, and I will, pop to the Apache infra
ML and ask for help - I'm not asking for any Apache infrastructure
allocation, just asking if there is any individual there, that knows
this stuff in and out, and willing to offer a hand..I'll report back.

//drew

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Aug 16, 2011, at 6:23 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> [...]
>>

> I think the above would make great material for a post on the
> project's blog, an update on the various parallel efforts we have in
> motion.
>
>> On the extensions/templates service - I know There are millions of
>> OpenOffice.org users that link to this URL and will be for at least some
>> goodly number of months into the future.
>>
>> It seems to me that the user facing web infrastructure is going to be
>> ready for the move fairly soon now, with code and tools sections,
>> likely, lagging a bit, but I would expect Oracle would like all the
>> stuff moved/rebranded ASAP.
>>

>> So
>> - how long do you think we can go with the current arrangement?
>
> Only Oracle can answer that.  But that really doesn't impact the
> extensions site, since it is not on Oracle servers.
>
>> - and here I may be, being, slow again. It sound like you are saying
>> that on day one, after the web sites are rebranded, then this disclaomer
>> is needed at the current extensiions.s.oo.o, since it has un-savory
>> items. Am I correct on that? IF so and if the disclaimer is to say that
>> the site is not run by the PPMC, then by who (or is that whom)? Are you
>> saying that OSUUSL would be the responsible party?
>>

> Responsibility to me means:
>
> 1) If the server is hacked, who cleans it up?
>
> 2) If someone uploads unauthorized code (code they do not have the
> rights to) who responds to the take down notice?
>
> 3) If the underlying application stack require a critical security
> update, who monitors this and applies the patches?
>
> 4) Who monitors logs for errors, optimizes the database, does the
> backups and other routine maintenance?
>
> 5) Who sets the policies for what kind of extensions are allowed and
> which are not allowed?
>
> 6) Who decides who has what permissions on the server, from sysadmin,
> to application admin, etc.
>
> 7) Who removes spam from the user comments, and generally enforces the
> terms of service?
>
> These are the kinds of things that the PPMC, in conjunction with
> Apache Infrastructure, does for websites that we control.
>
> Do you know, is anyone doing something similar for the extensions web
> site?  Is OSUUSL doing this?  Or is there a vacuum now?
>
> This isn't a trivial task.  You might be able to get a Drupal expert
> to help restore the website to working order.  But then who maintains
> it and prevents it from falling apart in 6 more months?  Who has the
> ongoing responsibility for the website?
>
> Maybe someone else has a better idea, but I can think of a few
> long-term solutions:
>
> 1) Find a group of people interested in taking responsibility for the
> website in its current form (hosting the downloads, including OSS,
> freeware, shareware, trialware, etc.)
>
> 2) Morph the existing site into something that could be hosted at
> Apache.  For example, host no files, just metadata, for the
> extensions.   Extension authors are responsible for hosting their

There is also an OOo Kenai project with an OOo domain.

http://external.openoffice.org/

We are going to need to incorporate this, remove it, or edit it for our Apache version of openoffice.org. This is policy to be altered somehow.

If the extensions and templates servers are hosting the actual downloads then there ought to be a transition to either hosting by the authors or a mirror system.

If the downloads are distributed to mirrors then perhaps the current servers at extensions.services.openoffice.org will suffice.

> #2 does not need to be difficult.  It could start with an email to all
> extension authors telling them of the change and giving then some
> reasonable period, say 6 weeks, to find an alternative host for their
> downloads.  We could start with a very simple extensions website that
> builds static HTML files from the metadata (in XML), with indices for
> extensions category, license, language, etc.  Keep it simple to start.
> Build the site every hour or so.  Think like the "Planet" blog
> aggregators.  But instead of aggregating RSS/Atom feeds, we're
> aggregating "feeds" that describes an extension and generating a
> website from that.  But a website like that can handle any load, since
> the user just sees static HTML and the downloads are all distributed.

This can fit into the Apache CMS model. Initially you could setup a crontab job to republish every so often in your people account. This would be a problem if you disappeared. I've seen some email on infra about a project needing to access a missing person's people account in a similar situation. Not ideal, but acceptable.

If the extension database is in xml then there is support for xslproc transforms in the Apache CMS.

> I'd be willing to help with #2.  If we have 2 or 3 people interest in
> that, I think we could get it done before the leaves change color in
> New Hampshire.

I don't think it would be hard. The hard part is getting all the authors to rehost. Perhaps these could go onto apache-extras?

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@robweir.com>.

#2 does not need to be difficult.  It could start with an email to all

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

It's custom php code located somewhere in the infra
repo.  If you ask on infrastructure@ someone can provide
you specifics and access if you'd like.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2011, at 11:45 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> Alright - well just tried to hit the extension site (from the OO.o front
>>> page) 6 times, 5 'connection reset', 1 time success - then clicked on
>>> templates and 'connection reset'
>>>
>>> No hands up here yet that I've seen.
>>>
>>> People do want to have this site up, yes?
>>>
>>> So - I said I'd not be much help, that isn't the same as no help.
>>>
>>> I assume all the drupal setup is under version control, or is it just
>>> the custom changes (with any schema changes) - either way I can setup a
>>> VM here and see about tackling an update from 5 to 6 (not 7???)
>>>

>> What are you trying to accomplish?
>>
>> I thought the fact that the extensions site was hosting software
>> downloads that were not all under the Apache 2.0 license, and in some
>> cases were not even OSS, made it impossible for us to be hosting the
>> site on Apache servers.
>
> I think that Drew should investigate what is up at OSUOSL.
>
> There had been Oracle people working on it. The sysadmin there knows something of what went on.
>
> They get so many warnings due to the load that they have turned off their Nagios checks.
>
> Perhaps - there is a need for more machine at OSUOSL and that is all...
>
> Maybe that would be a good use for some of the non-Apache fundraising. Could this be the spot for co-operation with other projects?

+1

What do our LibreOffice lurkers think?

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 12:35 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 12:15 PM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 17:11 +0200, Eike Rathke wrote:
> >> Hi Rob,

> >> Yes.
> >
> > I for one agree with this expansive policy,

<snip>

> > I have two quantitative questions which I would strongly wish to have
> > answered, if possible, before offering my opinion on long(ish) hosting
> > options.
> >
> > 1 - The percentage of inbound visitors coming from the application vs
> > from search engines.
> >
> > 2 - The percentage of artifacts that are stored directly on the OSUOSL
> > server vs a link to a remote site. I am working on the assumption that
> > this is a very high ratio, where a goodly number of these local files
> > are _likely_ stored only on this server. (not sure there would be anyway
> > to actually answer the last part of that sentence for sure..)
> >

> >> Fine. Isn't much different from the current situation. Best if technical
> >> details could be worked out such that no code apart from the actual
> >> repository/directory URL needed to be changed.

<snip>

> If there are "standard extensions", where we store the source in SVN,
> treat it as part of the project and release via the normal procedures,
> then I can certainly see hosting the extension on Apache servers.  But
> I don't see that happening for 3rd party extensions.
>
> I don't think the basic situation changes based on domain names
> openoffice.org versus openoffice.apache.org.

Yes - Nóirín's comments make that clear also, should of stayed with my
first choice.

> If it is on Apache
> servers, controlled by the Apache project, using the Apache
> trademarks, then it is hard to say that code distribution can be done
> without following Apache rules for releases and licensing.
>
> Aside from the licensing concern, I'd also be concerned with the
> impact of hosting commercial (non-open source) extensions on our
> status as a non-profit.
>
> I think we have a two workable solutions:
>
> 1) Host all of the extensions externally.  This could include
> Apache-extra.org.  We could link to such an external repository from
> our website, with a suitable disclaimer stating that this is a
> non-Apache site.
>
> 2) Host only the description and metadata, essentially a catalog or
> directory, and require that all non-Apache owned (not in our SVN)
> extensions be hosted externally.  This could include external hosting
> at Apache-extras,org, SourceForge, Google, or whatever else the author
> prefers.
>

> Either option would obviously require some coordination and
> communications with the extension authors.  I prefer option #2.

[from out of left field]
Would members consider transferring ownership of the current repository
hosted on the OSUOSL server to a third party, perhaps created
specifically to take this over, and then working with them to create the
indirect reference site under the AOO project, filtering out
un-acceptably licensed items as a way to achieving option #2. This would
move the entire repository without needing to locate individual authors.

> Another thing to consider is this:  If there is some load related
> issues here, then we should consider taking a close look at the top 5
> or so extensions and see if we can get them, or equivalent features
> into the core AOOo release.  So better than dealing with load, we can
> prevent the requests altogether by giving users what they want in the
> core release.

It's something to think on, again it depends a lot of that usage
information, IMO.

//drew

Re: [www] Ext / Temp repository stability ( was Extensions and templates site down )

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
> [...]
>> details could be worked out such that no code apart from the actual
>> repository/directory URL needed to be changed.
>
> One other thought - I want to restate what I said earlier, regarding
> what we can (could) do on a server inside the ASF physical custody vs
> 3rd party maintained servers - I believe I should of based the
> distinction not on the location of the server, but rather the URL
> (domain), so that it is significant the difference between
> [x].openoffice.org and openoffice.apache.org/[x].

If there are "standard extensions", where we store the source in SVN,
treat it as part of the project and release via the normal procedures,
then I can certainly see hosting the extension on Apache servers.  But
I don't see that happening for 3rd party extensions.

I don't think the basic situation changes based on domain names
openoffice.org versus openoffice.apache.org.  If it is on Apache

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Eike Rathke <oo...@erack.de>.
Hi Rob,

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.
On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 11:39 PM, Rob Weir <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 12, 2011, at 5:43 PM, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:

> >> TDF-Discuss
> >> the
> uses
> >>
> >> Is the intent to host all of the extensions currently at the OOo site?
> >> Or a subset?  Or a different set?
> >>

> > They host only extensions that have open source licenses, so the ones at
> the
> > OOo site that have proprietary licenses are not hosted.
>
> I'd like to have a central catalog of all extensions, commercial as
> well as open source.  Not necessarily hosting them, but having the
> basic metadata with links to whatever site hosts them. If we have
> something like this then we can escape the need for having a singe
> host site that gates user visibility of extensions based on eclectic
> things like license considerations.   You could even have multiple
> such catalogs. Maybe some which curate only GPL extensions for
> example.
>
> To do something like the above would require agreeing on a metadata
> description file for extension authors.

Sounds like a job for the ODF Plugfest (or at least a subset of its
attendees).

Meanwhile, the offer stands as a practical and pragmatic solution to keep
end users running during the transition.

S.

Re: Extensions and templates site down

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 12:39 AM, Rob Weir <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 12, 2011, at 5:43 PM, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:

> >> TDF-Discuss
> >> the
> uses
> >>
> >> Is the intent to host all of the extensions currently at the OOo site?
> >> Or a subset?  Or a different set?
> >>

> > They host only extensions that have open source licenses, so the ones at
> the
> > OOo site that have proprietary licenses are not hosted.
>
> I'd like to have a central catalog of all extensions, commercial as
> well as open source.  Not necessarily hosting them, but having the
> basic metadata with links to whatever site hosts them. If we have
> something like this then we can escape the need for having a singe
> host site that gates user visibility of extensions based on eclectic
> things like license considerations.   You could even have multiple
> such catalogs. Maybe some which curate only GPL extensions for
> example.
>
> To do something like the above would require agreeing on a metadata
> description file for extension authors.

i think most of this is already available. We need to extend the code to
handle multiple repositories in the extension manager as known from for
example NetBeans. You can of course already define your own update URL for
your own extension and everything works out of the box to get the update
information via this URL. The current repository provides automatically an
update URL for extensions hosted in the repo. The whole mechanism is already
very flexible.

To add my personal opinion, i would still prefer a repo for all kind of
extensions. What we need is a working eco system around the office suite and
i think commercial extensions can be an important part  of such an eco
system. Specialized extensions for only a subset of (business) users for
example. It would allow ISV's to build their own business around the office
suite ...

Juergen

Posted by Rob Weir <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.
Pedro Giffuni wrote:

>>> Is the intent to host all of the extensions currently at the OOo site?
>>>  Or a subset?  Or a different set?
>>>

>> They host only extensions that have open source licenses, so the ones
>> at the
>> OOo site that have proprietary licenses are not hosted.
>>

> While this is understandable, it is not good enough. We will have to
> find an
> alternative repository and link to it from Apache's website. This is
> something
> that can wait though.
>
> Pedro

This is being worked on at this time.

Andy

Re: Extensions and templates site down

Posted by André Schnabel <an...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

Am 13.07.2011 00:37, schrieb Pedro Giffuni:

> While this is understandable, it is not good enough. We will have to
> find an
> alternative repository and link to it from Apache's website. This is
> something
> that can wait though.

You might think different, when you was an actual user or author of an
extension.

E.g., the extensions I published at the ooo extension site are listed in
other software repositories as well, but just as a link. E.g. Heise.de
does so. Within the last weeks I got several notifications that my
extensions would be de-registered, as it is not available anymore.

Seems, stil many here did not yet realize that apache has taken a
project *and product* with dozends of millions active users.

But - good to know, that (according to Andrew) there is work on this
here (as well as at TDF).

André

Re: Extensions and templates site down

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Here is what an OSUOSL admin said in July when this happened last:

> Looks like varnish died on the machine and I just kicked it. The site(s)
> should be back online now.
>
> The sites have been in an unstable state for quite a while mostly
> because neither we (OSL) nor Sun/Oracle had time to fix the performance
> issues both of the sites entails. Couple that with the fact that the
> machines they power those sites are very underpower considering the load
> they take. It's gotten so bad that we've turned off notifications
> because they just go off all the time.
>
> What really needs to happen is to have the sites completely
> re-architected from the ground up with scaling in mind. At least one of
> the sites is a stock Drupal 5.0 with a very hacked core. I know some
> Sun/Oracle engineers had been working on fixing that into a Drupal 6
> module but I'm not sure where that left off.
>
> Anyways, If you would like some more help with how these sites can be
> fixed moving forward, please let me know. But we are strectched thin for
> resources.
>
> Thanks-

It is certainly a load issue. It might be a place to donate hardware and Drupal "foo"

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Nóirín Plunkett <no...@apache.org>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 9:57 AM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 15:31 +0200, Reizinger Zoltán wrote:
>> 2011.08.14. 15:07 keltezéssel, Rob Weir írta:
>> >>
>> > Do we know what the underlying issue is?  Is it load related?
>> I don't know, may be not enough resources to do administration.
>
> I don't know specifics either, but there has been talk on the lists of
> it needing an upgrade to address scaling issues.
>
> You have to assume it is a lack of human resources, I know that they
> lost non-Sun/oracle employee admin support way back, so I don't know
> what the status of the current admin is ( I'm not even sure if it is
> only one person ).
>
> Maybe it is resources at the host that are lacking - but either way I
> think the PPMC has to take responsibility for keeping the site up,
> bottom line at this point.
>
> If it is not possible to get a stable stie up in a reasonable timeframe
> then maybe, yes, another outlet for the items submitted to the site
> needs to be found, up to and including transferring the artifacts to
> another provider such as the new LibreOffice repository IMO. The PPMC is
> not just responsible for that site now, but for the contributions from
> the many people that donated artifacts there and the current suer base
> that make use of them.
>
> I am strongly, very strongly, in favor of the PPMC finding a solution,
> in situ, however.

IIRC, these extensions are 3rd party, under a variety of licenses,
including some that are not open source.  Is that correct?

If so, I'm not sure that we can be hosting the extensions as an
official part of the AOOo project.  But the purpose of Apache-Extras
is to support extensions to Apache projects that are not Apache 2.0
licensed.

Another option, which I brought up the last time this topic was
discussed on the list, is that we maintain a catalog of extensions,
but don't maintain the storage of the extensions themselves.  So a
distributed approach where we own the directory.

There are several free forges where extension authors can maintain
their extensions, as well as the not-too-difficult option of
self-hosting.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Reizinger Zoltán <zr...@hdsnet.hu>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <gi...@tutopia.com>.

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jomar Silva <ho...@gmail.com>.
> As it happens I'd already started exploring this one with the Document
> Foundation Steering Committee, and Jomar Silva raised it on the TDF-Discuss
> list. TDF are just about to launch a full version of their extensions &
> templates system and they would be perfectly happy for AOOo to redirect the
> URL that OpenOffice.org is using to access the repository so that it uses
> the system TDF are hosting for LibreOffice.
>
> They are also happy for this arrangement to continue for as long as it makes
> sense, and have no problem with a shared repository indefinitely. Like
> Apache, they are only willing to host open source packages, so if anyone
> wanted a system that also hosted closed packages it would need to be created
> as a downstream of TDF's system.
>
> I'm happy to act as a liaison on this if necessary, as I suspect is Jomar.
>
> S.

I'll be happy too :)

Jomar

Re: Extensions and templates site down

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.
On 12/07/2011 Rob Weir wrote:
> > 1) The new extensions.openoffice.org site hosts no code or binaries.
> > It is simply a directory of 3rd party extensions and links to outside
> > sites for the actual files.

This would really be suboptimal since the OpenOffice.org community
really expects to use the extensions site both for downloading and
uploading extensions: unaffiliated members involved with extensions
development used to outnumber unaffiliated members working on core.

> > 2) Optionally, in conjunction with #1, host the extension source and
> > distributions at http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/hosting/ .
> ... 3) Have OOo extensions hosted by a 3rd party website and we link to
> that site.  It is done that way essentially now with OSL.  But I think
> we'll want to be more explicit about such links

OK, then it's probably time to decide on a DNS zone corresponding to
what used to be *.services.openoffice.org and dedicated to community
resources, since the Apache Extras option does not seems practical
seeing the dozens of sites needed. Maybe "*.services.openoffice.org" is
not explicit enough: would "*.community.openoffice.org" be better?
Shorter options?

Regards,
  Andrea.

Re: Extensions and templates site down

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

<snip>

> We did get a zone file yesterday, but it was missing these two domains.

Who is 'we' please ?

Can you forward a copy to me and to joes please (or just to root@apache.org
if
you're not happy with doing the former.)

Thanks

Gav...

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Reizinger Zoltán <zr...@hdsnet.hu>.

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.
On 7/11/2011 07:28, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Reizinger Zoltán wrote:
>> The two sites works sporadically, needs four five web page refresh to load:
>> http://templates.services.openoffice.org/
>> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/
>> To help OOo present users, needs to stabilize sites work.
>> Somebody knows what the cause of this problem.
>
> Yes, I posted some more details in this message a few weeks ago:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201106.mbox/browser
> and I don't have further updates available.
>
> Note that those sites are not part of the Oracle infrastructure.
>
> Regards,
>    Andrea.

Hi, all,

--