Posted to dev@freemarker.apache.org by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org> on 2017/02/08 09:29:39 UTC

Twitter and Some More Suggested Tweets

Hi

I still think that we are not using Twitter as much as we could be and do understand the concern that our Twitter followers might not want to get messages about other things (e.g ASF, Apachecon, Community Events etc).

Social media is social so we can always ask them what they want :-)  Twitter includes a tool to do a quick poll or survey and we can ask them what messages they prefer. What to people think?

Some more suggested tweets are as follows:

Do you like our new Freemarker Twitter logo? We love it! Thanks to everyone who voted and JulienNicolas for the graphics

Freemaker is doing great! Take a look at our Freemarker Project Maturity Model
https://s.apache.org/mree

Let's think about redesigning the TemplateLoader interface for FM3. Share your ideas & comments on our dev mailing list

I haven't posted the tweet about the Committer How to as I think we may need some small changes in it, but I will start a new thread.

If you have any ideas for tweets for the Freemarker twitter account then please let me know.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: Twitter and Some More Suggested Tweets

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com>.

On 08/02/17 13:34, Daniel Dekany wrote:
> Wednesday, February 8, 2017, 1:14:37 PM, Sharan Foga wrote:
>
>> Hi Daniel
>>
>> I understand your point and have included some responses inline.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sharan

>>> I know I have already said this, but isn't it certainly enough that
>>> they prefer messages about FreeMarker? (I suppose if someone has time
>>> to burn and so want messages defined only by some broad common
>>> interest, they subscribe to some person's tweet or such.)
>> I'm not so sure. Not everyone knows what is interesting for them or not.
> I understand that, but it's not part of the FreeMarker project mission
> to help people to discover what they are really interested in though.
> There are lot of online resources for that. But it's not like I want
> to go into any philosophical discussion about this, I'm just noting my
> standpoint.
>
>> As an example - it is only when you see an interesting headline in a
>> newspaper do you decide that you want to find out more. If you don't see
>> the newspaper headline at all then you don't know that there is
>> something interesting for you to look at.
>>
>> This idea is not about spamming people with messages they don't want -
>> I'm actually talking about asking people what they want - using an
>> online twitter poll. Then they each have the option to give their
>> opinion and say Yes or No. To me this is what consensus and community
>> involvement is all about,  getting feedback from the community.
> Well, do that then (as far as I'm concerned).

>>> That bicycle shed was already painted.
>> Yes it is, and it was a good paint job too, so why not celebrate the
>> community contributions that made it happen? Showing that your community
>> appreciates contributions will encourage people to contribute more and
>> also attract new contributors.
>>
>>> Overall, I would like to point out that part of the FreeMarker
>>> "culture" is that we just want users (programmers mostly) to get their
>>> job done, and that's it. So chatty are semi-relevant messages to users
>>> are kind of out of character. Personally, I would like that's value is
>>> kept. Not sure if it's compatible with social media though... (:

>>> OK, let's post that one.

>>> (Sooner or later I will have to pull myself together and start some
>>> Wiki page about where FM3 is going... Right now it's still too early
>>> to bother people. I was kind of busy in the recent two weeks so, yeah,
>>> I'm a bit behind with FM. Anyway, that will generate a few Tweets
>>> too.)
>> OK that's great! I'm sure quite a few people will be looking forward to
>> finding out about that.
> If there's any user commitment to FM, there will be sentiments for
> sure... "How am I supposed to migrate to this??? Unsubscribed." (:

What you (and the community) are doing is improving Freemarker so I hope
that there will be even more people saying - 'thanks for fixing this...'
and 'thanks for adding this functionality.....' :-)

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
> [...]

>>> Share your ideas & comments on our dev mailing list
>> OK, let's post that one.
>>
>>> I haven't posted the tweet about the Committer How to as I think we
>>> may need some small changes in it, but I will start a new thread.
>>>
>>> If you have any ideas for tweets for the Freemarker twitter account then please let me know.
>> (Sooner or later I will have to pull myself together and start some
>> Wiki page about where FM3 is going... Right now it's still too early
>> to bother people. I was kind of busy in the recent two weeks so, yeah,
>> I'm a bit behind with FM. Anyway, that will generate a few Tweets
>> too.)
> OK that's great! I'm sure quite a few people will be looking forward to
> finding out about that.

If there's any user commitment to FM, there will be sentiments for
sure... "How am I supposed to migrate to this??? Unsubscribed." (:

>>> Thanks
>>> Sharan

 Daniel Dekany

Re: Twitter and Some More Suggested Tweets

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Daniel

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Wednesday, February 8, 2017, 10:29:39 AM, Sharan Foga wrote:

> Hi
>
> I still think that we are not using Twitter as much as we could be
> and do understand the concern that our Twitter followers might not
> want to get messages about other things (e.g ASF, Apachecon, Community Events etc).
>
> Social media is social so we can always ask them what they want :-)
> Twitter includes a tool to do a quick poll or survey and we can ask
> them what messages they prefer. What to people think?

I know I have already said this, but isn't it certainly enough that
they prefer messages about FreeMarker? (I suppose if someone has time
to burn and so want messages defined only by some broad common
interest, they subscribe to some person's tweet or such.)

> Some more suggested tweets are as follows:
>
> Do you like our new Freemarker Twitter logo? We love it! Thanks to
> everyone who voted and JulienNicolas for the graphics

That bicycle shed was already painted.

Overall, I would like to point out that part of the FreeMarker
"culture" is that we just want users (programmers mostly) to get their
job done, and that's it. So chatty are semi-relevant messages to users
are kind of out of character. Personally, I would like that's value is
kept. Not sure if it's compatible with social media though... (:

> Freemaker is doing great! Take a look at our Freemarker Project Maturity Model
> https://s.apache.org/mree
>
> Let's think about redesigning the TemplateLoader interface for FM3.
> Share your ideas & comments on our dev mailing list

OK, let's post that one.

> I haven't posted the tweet about the Committer How to as I think we
> may need some small changes in it, but I will start a new thread.
>
> If you have any ideas for tweets for the Freemarker twitter account then please let me know.

(Sooner or later I will have to pull myself together and start some
Wiki page about where FM3 is going... Right now it's still too early
to bother people. I was kind of busy in the recent two weeks so, yeah,
I'm a bit behind with FM. Anyway, that will generate a few Tweets
too.)

> Thanks
> Sharan

 Daniel Dekany

Re: Twitter and Some More Suggested Tweets

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Thanks, I have fixed these!

Friday, March 17, 2017, 11:53:40 AM, Sharan Foga wrote:

> Hi Daniel
>
> Thanks for the reminder. I've been involved with Apachecon and
> Community Development stuff so this dropped down my my task list.
>
> My suggested changes are as follows:
>
> You document uses (s)he and on the ASF email tips, it recommends
> avoiding the use of gender specific terms like he or she. (For info
> \u2013 In December last year I ran a survey of the ASF Committers and
> it showed that have more genders than just he and she). So I'd
> suggest making it gender neutral by using 'they' and  so change
>
> -  (s)he has to they have
> -  (s)he is  to they are
> -  (s)he may to they may
> -  (s)he should to they should
>
> -  CLA vs ICLA \u2013 I think it is full term ICLA (Individual
> Contributor Licence Agreement) although the page your refer does call them CLA.
>
> -  Change \u201cit's sometimes looked over\u201d to \u201c it's sometimes overlooked\u201d
>
> -  Change \u201cThe commit comment should automatically describe that
> it's a merge and if from where.\u201d  to something like \u201c'The commit
> comment should automatically describe that it's a merge and if so, where it was merged from\u201d
>
> -  Change \u201cIn general, pull request merge commits should adhere
> to the same policies as if the Committer who commits directly into
> the Apache git repository.\u201d to something like
> \u201cIn general, pull request merge commits should adhere to the same
> policies that Committers use to commit directly into the Apache git repository.\u201d
>
> -  Change \u201cFor each release, one of the Committers plays the role of Release Manager.\u201d
> to \u201cFor each release, one of the Committers takes on  the role of Release Manager.\u201d
>
> -  Change \u201cIf someone reports a security vulnerability, normally
> he shouldn't do it on a public forum\u201d to \u201cIf someone reports a
> security vulnerability, normally they shouldn't do it on a public forum\u201d
>
> I think that was all the main things I noticed.
>
> Thanks
> Sharan
>

> On 2017-03-16 11:06 (+0100), Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> wrote:
>> Wednesday, February 8, 2017, 10:29:39 AM, Sharan Foga wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>> > I haven't posted the tweet about the Committer How to as I think we
>> > may need some small changes in it, but I will start a new thread.
>>
>> So, what are those changes? (This is about
>> http://freemarker.org/committer-howto.html)
>>
>> --
>> Thanks,
>>  Daniel Dekany

 Daniel Dekany

Re: Twitter and Some More Suggested Tweets

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi Daniel

[...]

\u201cIn general, pull request merge commits should adhere to the same policies that Committers use to commit directly into the Apache git repository.\u201d

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.