Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Deepak Goel <de...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/23 21:59:46 UTC

"Big Data" Problem

Hey

Namaskara~Nalama~Guten Tag~Bonjour

(Sorry, as this might not be the right question for this forum. However am
not sure which other forum would be able to address this problem)

I work for a "Big Data" company and we are supposed to provide the
technology to a bank which will link the corporate accounts and savings
accounts of a customer.

So if a bank has given a corporate loan to a company and the company does
not dole out some payments from its savings account, then the bank should
warn itself and take action against the company as there might be a
probability that the company might default on its loan.

Now we would be providing the technology however it is not completely
ethical to link the corporate account to the savings account of the
customer company. However the bank is saying, as it has all the data it can
link it without any hassle. Even without informing customers.

This problem is similar to the "Nuclear problem" where the physicist
provided the nuclear technology to build nuclear bombs, but said that they
just provided the technology. But it is for the politicians to decide
whether or not to use nuclear bombs on civilians. And hence there is no
moral obligation on the physicist.

What do you think I should do? Is there a problem at all or am i just over
imagining things? Should I provide the technology to the bank to link the
two accounts?

Thank You
Deepak
   --
Keigu

Deepak
73500 12833
www.simtree.net, deepak@simtree.net
deicool@gmail.com

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/deicool
Skype: thumsupdeicool
Google talk: deicool
Blog: http://loveandfearless.wordpress.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/deicool

"Contribute to the world, environment and more : http://www.gridrepublic.org
"

Re: "Big Data" Problem

Posted by Deepak Goel <de...@gmail.com>.
I totally agree with everyone and some final parting thoughts on everyone's
answers:

1. I do not know of any work laws in India (I am out of India) which deals
on ethics. Even if they are there, they must be in books.

2. I cannot personally afford to consult a lawyer on this. As for my
company, I am too small time a guy to suggest them anything on legal
matters. I can always voice my thought out but that's about it. Quitting
for ethical reasons could be one option, but then i would be just plainly
running away from the problem like an ostrich (Also my & my family survival
depends on this job)

3. About whether this is a appropriate question for this mailing list is
for everyone to decide. I had checked Hadoop's instructions on the mailing
list and this is what they had to say:

questions and discussion.*
http://hadoop.apache.org/mailing_lists.html

So it does not really draws the line between what can be asked and what
cannot be asked. Anyways I agree it was my mistake to post in this forum
and I am sorry for that (It is just that I haven't eaten and slept for the
past couple of days because of this matter and one can hardly understand
'courtly and well-bred behaviour' when I am so pale)

4. I did read and had a discussion about what can be used as information in
corporate banking. But it is too vague, subjective. Does anyone has a link
on this? Also from personal experience, I have seen companies especially
banks go to lengths which are completely unethical and illegal (like
recovery of loans and bad debts from poor people). And they don't stop at
anything. I am not blaming any particular bank or person, but I guess it is
just the nature of business. It is for us an individual to decide what kind
of technology we are building and how it can be misused. Will it be used
for war? Will it be used for terrorism? Will it be used harassing poor &
unfortunate people? How can we build technology which will provide
safeguards against these matters for the sake of humanity and life as a
whole?

*Overall, I am sorry once again for posting this discussion on this group.
I will sort this matter out on my own. Thank you everyone for your effort
and time.*

Deepak

Re: "Big Data" Problem

Posted by Tom Deutsch <td...@us.ibm.com>.

From:	Deepak Goel <de...@gmail.com>
To:	Suvro Choudhury <su...@gmail.com>
Cc:	Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>,
            "user@hadoop.apache.org" <us...@hadoop.apache.org>
Date:	05/24/2016 08:16 PM
Subject:	Re: "Big Data" Problem

Re: "Big Data" Problem

Posted by Deepak Goel <de...@gmail.com>.

Re: "Big Data" Problem

Posted by Suvro Choudhury <su...@gmail.com>.

Re: "Big Data" Problem

Posted by Deepak Goel <de...@gmail.com>.

Re: "Big Data" Problem

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
Hello Deepak,

From: Deepak Goel <de...@gmail.com>>
Date: Monday, May 23, 2016 at 2:59 PM
To: "user@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>" <us...@hadoop.apache.org>>

www.simtree.net<http://www.simtree.net>, deepak@simtree.net<ma...@simtree.net>
deicool@gmail.com<ma...@gmail.com>

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/deicool<http://www.linkedin.com/in/deicool>

Re: "Big Data" Problem

Posted by Deepak Goel <de...@gmail.com>.
Well the bank gives out loans to corporate customers and gets a higher rate
of returns. However there is a higher risk to it and everyone knows in
advance about it. Earlier the savings and corporate account were separate
and not linked to each other (they were separate islands). Now the bank
with the help of "Big Data" technology is linking everything without
telling the customer ~ actually spying into the personal life of the
corporate people (Also it had never informed the customer earlier too!)

It is like this: If your son keeps a $100 bill in the refrigerator, you
obviously can profit by taking it and not telling him about it. However you
can tell him and then take the money. Which one of the options would you
take? Which according to you is more ethical?

Re: "Big Data" Problem

Posted by Rasp Berry <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: "Big Data" Problem

Posted by Amr Shahin <am...@gmail.com>.