Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Duffield <ry...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/05 21:33:47 UTC

Secure Password Problem

I have very few password protected documents but have one Calc document
which is very important to me that I protect with a very secure password.
Fortunately, I periodically do a Save As of this document and retain many
of the previous copies even though the contents have been superseded by the
newest file.

I use the same password for all copies of this file so I know what the
correct password is.  I have not changed this password in years.

My problem is that the password for the newest copy of this Calc document
seemingly has become corrupted and the correct password will no longer open
it.

This all seems to have come about as a result of some blue screens while
the file was open, caused by a failed memory module.  Once I removed the
defective memory and got the computer working correctly again, I discovered
I could no longer access my Calc document because my password no longer
works.

My question is, is there any file recovery I can run for this document
which might restore the password to what it is supposed to be?  I am using
Open Office v3.4.1 on a Win XP Pro SP3 pc.

I can abandon this corrupted file but it does contain the most current
information which is not available in the most recent preceding file.  It
is not a traumatic event but will be a definite inconvenience if I have to
abandon this corrupted file.

Any suggestions offered will be appreciated, even if I end up failing in my
effort.

Thank you,

Bob

--
Sent from my PC

Re: Secure Password Problem

Posted by Duffield <ry...@gmail.com>.
Thank you, I will look into that.  I appreciate the tip.

Robert

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 5:39 PM, John Hart <jh...@testra.com> wrote:

> On 8/5/2013 2:38 PM, Duffield wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, the blue screens took care of the rebooting question-there
>> have been innumerable reboots since this problem appeared.
>>
>> I know that when a reboot has been forced while an OO file is open, during
>> the boot up process OO gives the option to recover the file (but from that
>> point on it is a Read-Only file and cannot be changed).  Knowing that
>> limitation, I gave up trying to recover under those circumstanced and just
>> cancelled out of the offer.  It was only after I had done that that the
>> corrupted password problem appeared.  I was hoping I might be able to
>> force
>> a recovery without being prompted to do so during boot up.
>>
>> Yes, it was an ODF file.  Although numerous reboots have passed, I will
>> still look at the temporary files to see if I find anything, on an off
>> chance.  Thank you very much for the tip.
>>
>> Bob
>>
>>  A Windows file recovery program may be your only option at this point.

Sent from my PC

Re: Secure Password Problem

Posted by John Hart <jh...@testra.com>.

Re: Secure Password Problem

Posted by Duffield <ry...@gmail.com>.
I've never tried renaming the document after it being recovered.  I just
know it recovers as a Read-Only file.  That has been an inconvenience but
not an important issue because I could simply do a Save-As to a new file
name in the same folder and that new file would be both Read and Write
again.  My memory issue nagged at me intermittently for a long time before
I found the cause so I've experienced a lot of blue screens while this
particular file was opened.  I just allowed the recovery process to take
place during the reboot and all was well (except for the Read-Only
limitation) and the password was always intact.  This last time though the
password was seemingly corrupted.

I'll look at trying the suggestions I've received from my inquiry and see
if I can get this file back.  As I indicated originally though, I have less
multiple less current copies of the same file so the loss of this one would
not be overly traumatic.  It would just be very helpful to recover the most
current data if I can.

Thank you,

Robert

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Martin Groenescheij <Martin@groenescheij.com

Sent from my PC

Re: Secure Password Problem

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.

Re: Secure Password Problem

Posted by Duffield <ry...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>> This all seems to have come about as a result of some blue screens while
>> the file was open, caused by a failed memory module.  Once I removed the
>> defective memory and got the computer working correctly again, I
>> discovered
>> I could no longer access my Calc document because my password no longer
>> works.
>>
>> My question is, is there any file recovery I can run for this document
>> which might restore the password to what it is supposed to be?  I am using
>> Open Office v3.4.1 on a Win XP Pro SP3 pc.
>>
>> I can abandon this corrupted file but it does contain the most current
>> information which is not available in the most recent preceding file.  It
>> is not a traumatic event but will be a definite inconvenience if I have to
>> abandon this corrupted file.
>>
>> Any suggestions offered will be appreciated, even if I end up failing in

Sent from my PC

Re: Secure Password Problem

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.