Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Andreas Kröhnke <an...@prinfoanderstorp.se> on 2011/05/03 13:26:45 UTC

[users@httpd] Full load on Sundays

Hello,

I have two CentOS 5.5 boxes. What happens is that httpd goes up to 100%
CPU load, and is unable to serve any pages. I have tried to track this
down but with no success. I have had a problem since February, that
occurs on Sundays - but at different clock hours. I have of course
checked if there are cronjobs running just Sundays, but none.
It first seemed like there was logrotate that caused this, so I forced a
rotate on another day, but nothing changed. I also reset the permissions
of all the log files. It was suggested to me that "io wait" on the
system was high, but `sar` rejected that statement.

I caught the server that locked up, this Sunday, and tried to `strace`
it. It gave me this, looping:

poll([{fd=45, events=POLLIN}], 1, 3000) = 1 ([{fd=45, revents=POLLHUP}])
read(45, "", 12840)

A normal `service httpd restart` fails, with "adress in use" and "Unable
to open log files".

Here is some additional info:

Server version: Apache/2.2.3
Server built:   Sep  3 2010 17:24:40
Server's Module Magic Number: 20051115:3
Server loaded:  APR 1.2.7, APR-Util 1.2.7
Compiled using: APR 1.2.7, APR-Util 1.2.7
Architecture:   64-bit
Server MPM:     Prefork
   threaded:     no
     forked:     yes (variable process count)

Linux apollo 2.6.18-194.32.1.el5 #1 SMP Wed Jan 5 17:52:25 EST 2011
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I am clueless. Thanks!
--
Andreas Kröhnke