Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com> on 2012/03/01 12:48:22 UTC

Re: Event "feedback" logging

On 24/02/2012 15:03, Steve Ebersole wrote:

Hi Stevem
> I develop a library (jDocBook) that does DocBook related tasks as part
> of Maven or Gradle builds.  Initially, the output from FOP was so
> verbose that I ended up redirecting all console output to a file for a
> variety of reasons.
>
> On recently upgrading to 1.0 I noticed that some logging was again
> appearing in the build console.  Which led me to discover the addition
> of feedback events in 1.0 and that these were (at least some of) the
> messages showing up in the console.  So I whipped up a custom
> org.apache.fop.events.EventListener based on the well detailed
> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.0/events.html page and some of the
> messages were again gone from the console and showing up in the
> redirection file again.  Yaay!
>
> But others are still showing up in the console.  I'd like to know how
> to get these messages to show up only in the redirection file.  The
> messages still showing up in the console were:

Yeah thats a bug bear I have about FOP too. When the event system was
introduced a number of warning and informational messages were left
using the old logging framework, which means some important warnings are
not captured by the event framework and by efault end up on stdout. It
will be a big job to get all messages routed into the Event Framework.

> 1) Defined font directory [...] is not exist or is not a directory
> 2) Couldn't find hyphenation pattern en
> 3) span="inherit" on fo:block, but no explicit value found on the
> parent FO.

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Event "feedback" logging

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 05:48, Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/02/2012 15:03, Steve Ebersole wrote:
>
> Hi Stevem
>>
>> I develop a library (jDocBook) that does DocBook related tasks as part of
>> Maven or Gradle builds.  Initially, the output from FOP was so verbose that
>> I ended up redirecting all console output to a file for a variety of
>> reasons.
>>
>> On recently upgrading to 1.0 I noticed that some logging was again
>> appearing in the build console.  Which led me to discover the addition of
>> feedback events in 1.0 and that these were (at least some of) the messages
>> showing up in the console.  So I whipped up a custom
>> org.apache.fop.events.EventListener based on the well detailed
>> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.0/events.html page and some of the
>> messages were again gone from the console and showing up in the redirection
>> file again.  Yaay!

Is there any way to get those effects with a binary installation of
fop 1.0?  I'm getting tired of the warnings I can do nothing about
while the few SEVERE messages are almost hidden in the spew into the
console.

Thanks.

Best regards,

-Tom