Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Martin Edge <Ma...@intellimail.com.au> on 2010/06/01 16:58:29 UTC

Embedding PDF base into a FO document (at least for PDF output)

Hey Guys,

Trying to figure out the best way to manage embedding a PDF (allbeit source
via an A4 flyer sheet, or a PDF of most standard sizes, full of a mixture of
vector and raster graphics) in the output from FOP -

I see there is a plugin that exists called 'PDF Image Support Plug-In for
Apache FOP' on Jeremias' website.. My goal is to be able to use (for
instance) - a base pdf with a sheet pre-prepared with text and graphics, and
overprint an address on the document, is that something within the
capability of the library? Or is there another way to achieve this goal ?

Thanks

Martin

RE: Embedding PDF base into a FO document (at least for PDF output)

Posted by Eric Douglas <ed...@blockhouse.com>.
FOP writes PDFs.  For reading PDFs you might want to try pdfbox.

pdfbox can use a PDF file or a FileInputStream for input and can output
a PDF file or direct to a printer.

I had some issues getting FOP to send output directly to a printer with
it's direct print mime type, so I managed to get it to use the PDF mime
and send output in PDF format to a FileOutputStream and use pdfbox to
print it.

What you're trying to do sounds a bit more complicated.  The simplest
way would be if you have source files to recreate the PDF in FOP, to
start from scratch and rebuild it each time then add the address.  If
you must use a PDF which already exists, maybe pdfbox can help you
deconstruct it.

________________________________

Posted by Martin Edge <Ma...@intellimail.com.au>.
Perfect! Will give it a red hot go - thanks Jeremias

---------------
Martin Edge
Intellimail International Pty Ltd
---------------

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Martin,

that should work. Put the external-graphic in a block-container with
absolute-position="fixed" (top & left set to 0cm) and put that in the
region-before. HTH

On 01.06.2010 16:58:29 Martin Edge wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>

> Trying to figure out the best way to manage embedding a PDF (allbeit source
> via an A4 flyer sheet, or a PDF of most standard sizes, full of a mixture of
> vector and raster graphics) in the output from FOP -
>

> I see there is a plugin that exists called 'PDF Image Support Plug-In for
> Apache FOP' on Jeremias' website.. My goal is to be able to use (for
> instance) - a base pdf with a sheet pre-prepared with text and graphics, and
> overprint an address on the document, is that something within the
> capability of the library? Or is there another way to achieve this goal ?
>

> Thanks
>
> Martin

Jeremias Maerki