Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by venkata sastry akella <ak...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/13 06:21:12 UTC

Two consumer groups for same topic . One with subscribe and other with manual assignment

Hi
Can I have a one consumer group with automatic subcription and one group
with manual assignment of partitions.  To explain the scenario more,  have
a topic1 and several consumer processes are using group1 and each of the
consumers in the groups got partitions assigned automatically by kafka.
For same topic, in some other process can I create a consumer with group2
and assign the partitions manually ? Is this manual assignment in group2 is
going to interfere with group1 consumers ?

Re: Two consumer groups for same topic . One with subscribe and other with manual assignment

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <ma...@confluent.io>.
It will not interfere. And this is independent of manual partition
assignment or topic subscription. If you have different consumer
group-ids it's independent of each other.

-Matthias