Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/21 05:09:07 UTC

Re: Running lint-java during PR builds?

I would like to revive this proposal. Travis CI. Shall we give this try? I
think it's worth trying it.

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.
Ah, now it's merged so that it can be ran via SBT and it runs when there
are some changes in .java file only.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.
I opened a PR - https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/21399 to run it with
SBT.

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.
Is there a way to trigger it conditionally? e.g. only if the diff
touches java files.

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 9:17 AM, Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> One concern is with the volume of test runs on Travis.
>
> In ASF projects Travis could get significantly
> backed up since - if I recall - all of ASF shares one queue.
>
> At the number of PRs Spark has this could be a big issue.
>

> ________________________________

Marcelo

Re: Running lint-java during PR builds?

I'm fine with it. I tried to use the existing checkstyle sbt plugin
(trying to fix SPARK-22269), but it depends on an ancient version of
checkstyle, and I don't know sbt enough to figure out how to hack
classpaths and class loaders when applying rules, so gave up.

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 1:47 AM, Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am going to open an INFRA JIRA if there's no explicit objection in few
> days.

>> I would like to revive this proposal. Travis CI. Shall we give this try? I
>> think it's worth trying it.

>>> Hi, Marcelo and Ryan.
>>>
>>> That was the main purpose of my proposal about Travis.CI.
>>> IMO, that is the only way to achieve that without any harmful side-effect
>>> on Jenkins infra.
>>>
>>> Spark is already ready for that. Like AppVoyer, if one of you files an
>>> INFRA jira issue to enable that, they will turn on that. Then, we can try it
>>> and see the result. Also, you can turn off easily again if you don't want.
>>>
>>> Without this, we will consume more community efforts. For example, we
>>> merged lint-java error fix PR seven hours ago, but the master branch still
>>> has one lint-java error.
>>>
>>> https://travis-ci.org/dongjoon-hyun/spark/jobs/176351319
>>>
>>> Actually, I've been monitoring the history here. (It's synced every 30
>>> minutes.)
>>>
>>> https://travis-ci.org/dongjoon-hyun/spark/builds
>>>
>>> Could we give a change to this?
>>>
>>> Bests,
>>> Dongjoon.

Marcelo

Re: Running lint-java during PR builds?

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.
I'm fine with it. I tried to use the existing checkstyle sbt plugin
(trying to fix SPARK-22269), but it depends on an ancient version of
checkstyle, and I don't know sbt enough to figure out how to hack
classpaths and class loaders when applying rules, so gave up.

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 1:47 AM, Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am going to open an INFRA JIRA if there's no explicit objection in few
> days.

>> I would like to revive this proposal. Travis CI. Shall we give this try? I
>> think it's worth trying it.

>>> Hi, Marcelo and Ryan.
>>>
>>> That was the main purpose of my proposal about Travis.CI.
>>> IMO, that is the only way to achieve that without any harmful side-effect
>>> on Jenkins infra.
>>>
>>> Spark is already ready for that. Like AppVoyer, if one of you files an
>>> INFRA jira issue to enable that, they will turn on that. Then, we can try it
>>> and see the result. Also, you can turn off easily again if you don't want.
>>>
>>> Without this, we will consume more community efforts. For example, we
>>> merged lint-java error fix PR seven hours ago, but the master branch still
>>> has one lint-java error.
>>>
>>> https://travis-ci.org/dongjoon-hyun/spark/jobs/176351319
>>>
>>> Actually, I've been monitoring the history here. (It's synced every 30
>>> minutes.)
>>>
>>> https://travis-ci.org/dongjoon-hyun/spark/builds
>>>
>>> Could we give a change to this?
>>>
>>> Bests,