Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by lookman sanni <lo...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/01 20:23:07 UTC

GSOC09 week 0: Empowering Google Android applications to easily consume business services

Stage0 Log

Week 1:  Between the 25th of April and May 3rd 2009

Tuscany Markmail

First contact with tuscany markmail [1] and quick review of mentor’s posts
related to the projet as far as development and bugs issuing are concerned.

Alternate development environment

I used to perform developments on a dual boot with the project’s data
synchronized at both sides with a subersion repository. In case one of the
OSes messed up, i can still keep on track with coding while fixing the
issue.

Performed tasks:

   - Format the existing rusted ubuntu hardy
   - Download and install of Ubuntu Jaunty
   - Installation of needed dev tools (java, subversion, android sdk 1.5,
   eclipse ganymede + plugins (Android Developer tools, Sublipse), maven.
   - SVN checkout of the java tuscany repository
   - Maven built started but started but not terminated yet

Tuscany Android Patch

Investigation on how to get the shopping cart service consumed from android
using the atom binding after the  first provided patch
Fact: Android don’t provide yet any implementation of the Atom publishing
protocol specifiations. With Luciano, we agreed couple of weeks ago (even
before GSOC09 results to go for the Apahe Abdera project [2].

*Plan*: (*Recquire mentor’s validation*)

   - Import needed Abdera’s jars to the Android project.
   - Follow instrutions in [3] to implement the shopping cart items posting
   via the Atom publishing protocol in order to retrieve later the shopping
   cart total using JSON.Code Hosting
   Thought about projet repository creation at Google Code Hosting (*unless
   ASF provide another way doing this*)
   Projet name: tuscanystoreandroidgsoc09.
   References
   [1]: http://tuscany.markmail.org/
   [2]: http://abdera.apache.org
   [3]: http://cwiki.apache.org/ABDERA/client.html

--
Lookman SANNI;

Re: GSOC09 week 0: Empowering Google Android applications to easily consume business services

Posted by Oscar Castañeda <oc...@apache.org>.
Hi Lookman,

It's great that you're sending weekly (or so) updates. It might also be a
good idea to maintain a project wiki. Such a resource will enable you to
easily and effectively share information about your project, such as error
dumps, screenshots, etc.

Please see my comments below with regards to your update.

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 8:23 PM, lookman sanni <lo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Stage0 Log
>
> Week 1:  Between the 25th of April and May 3rd 2009
>

> Tuscany Markmail
>
> First contact with tuscany markmail [1] and quick review of mentor’s posts
> related to the projet as far as development and bugs issuing are concerned.
>

> Alternate development environment
>
> I used to perform developments on a dual boot with the project’s data
> synchronized at both sides with a subersion repository. In case one of the
> OSes messed up, i can still keep on track with coding while fixing the
> issue.
>
> Performed tasks:
>
>    - Format the existing rusted ubuntu hardy
>    - Download and install of Ubuntu Jaunty
>    - Installation of needed dev tools (java, subversion, android sdk 1.5,
>    eclipse ganymede + plugins (Android Developer tools, Sublipse), maven.
>    - SVN checkout of the java tuscany repository
>    - Maven built started but started but not terminated yet
>

> Tuscany Android Patch
>
> Investigation on how to get the shopping cart service consumed from android
> using the atom binding after the  first provided patch
> Fact: Android don’t provide yet any implementation of the Atom publishing
> protocol specifiations. With Luciano, we agreed couple of weeks ago (even
> before GSOC09 results to go for the Apahe Abdera project [2].
>
> *Plan*: (*Recquire mentor’s validation*)
>
>    - Import needed Abdera’s jars to the Android project.
>    - Follow instrutions in [3] to implement the shopping cart items
>    posting via the Atom publishing protocol in order to retrieve later the
>    shopping cart total using JSON.
>
> My validated recommendation is to follow the suggestions I posted on the
other thread, namely those that refer to getting SCA running on Android.
Furthermore, I recommend you take both directions in parallel and see where
you make the most progress, then re-evaluate based on results.

--
best,
-oscar

Oscar Castañeda