Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2017/06/17 12:35:09 UTC

[DISCUSS] Migrating to the New Incubator Website

All,

I'd like to start the process to move forward on a new incubator website.
Based on discussions in the past on list, I wanted to do the following:

- Roll out a new technology stack + repository
- Leave content in place, while we work later on content enhancements

For right now, I'm planning to leave the existing /projects and
/ip-clearance in place.  My hope is that we may not need them in the future.

The website staging area can be seen here:
https://incubator.apache.org/ngtest/
The git repository for the site can be seen here:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/jbake-site
(with
github mirror at https://github.com/apache/incubator/tree/jbake-site )

I'd like to get some final feedback on the layout and colors (not the
content).  I want to start tracking content enhancements in JIRA to help
come up with a backlog of areas of improvement for our incubator guides.

John

Re: [DISCUSS] Migrating to the New Incubator Website

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 17 June 2017 at 21:42, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 8:53 AM sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 17 June 2017 at 13:35, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
>> > All,
>> >
>> > I'd like to start the process to move forward on a new incubator website.
>> > Based on discussions in the past on list, I wanted to do the following:

>> This includes retired podling website urls which redirect to the
>> relevant projects/podling.html file.
>> These are set up as permanent redirects in .htaccess files.
>>

> I'm wondering if this can just show a 404 page after a while?  For TLPs we
> show an attic notice, but podlings may have never gotten through a release.

I think it's important that the general public can find out what
happened to a podling.
They might be interested in the code.

>> The list of graduated and retired projects needs to be accessible.
>>

> While we provide this service today, I'm wondering what the use case is for
> it?  Is it just to see that after they've graduated they had everything
> done?

Again so that the general public can find out what happened to a
podling they might be interested in.

Or indeed to find some software that covers an area they are interested in.
If the podling retired, the code is potentially still available for
others to use.
But they need to be able to find it.

There may be other uses.

It's really annoying when such information disappears.
We should not force users to rely on the Internet Archive.

>> > The website staging area can be seen here:
>> > https://incubator.apache.org/ngtest/
>> > The git repository for the site can be seen here:
>> >
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/jbake-site
>> > (with
>> > github mirror at https://github.com/apache/incubator/tree/jbake-site )
>> >
>> > I'd like to get some final feedback on the layout and colors (not the
>> > content).
>>
>> The layout and colours seem fine to me, but I was happy with the
>> present layout (which was redone not that long ago?)
>>

> It has to be ~ 6 years, at least, the incubator website looks the same as
> when I first got here.

Time flies ...

>> All existing (major) URLs should continue to work to avoid
>> invalidating bookmarks.
>>

> Sure, I'm assuming you'd be OK with a .htaccess doing redirects?  Just note
> at some point we will be moving content around.

I guess redirects are OK, but better would be not to move things.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 8:53 AM sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17 June 2017 at 13:35, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I'd like to start the process to move forward on a new incubator website.
> > Based on discussions in the past on list, I wanted to do the following:
>
> I missed those, so some of my comments may be unnecessary ...

Your input is never unnecessary Sebb :-)

> > - Roll out a new technology stack + repository
>
> Is this going to be documented somewhere?

Yes, I think it'll be useful to include a README (a new norm?) on how it
works + create the equivalent of
https://incubator.apache.org/ngtest/guides/website.html for the new git
repo + jbake, plus docs on how the jenkins job works (over CMS)

> > - Leave content in place, while we work later on content enhancements
> >
> > For right now, I'm planning to leave the existing /projects and
> > /ip-clearance in place.  My hope is that we may not need them in the
> future.
>
> /projects files are currently referenced from lots of places.

ACK.  I have no intention of dropping /projects anytime soon, at least not
until Whimsy can handle all of these use cases.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.
FWIW, the Apache OpenNLP project recently moved to a new website using
JBake - http://opennlp.apache.org

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 9:42 AM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 8:56 AM, Raphael Bircher <rbircherapache@gmail.com
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Jenkins maybe, but the idea for me is to make it easy for contributors
> >> to run the website generation locally for creating content.
> >>
> > For my point of view, an automated build is better. Else you need to
> > install the tools every time first. If you jest have a small improvement,
> > you maybe don't do the change.
> >

> Automated is required. No doubt.
>
> But local running is very, very handy for anything larger than typo
> correction.

Infra and some others have been using Pelican to generate content. It
provides a local server to check your changes before you commit/push them.
We have both git and svn repositories, feeding into buildbots to generate
the site from the Markdown content.

Cheers,
-g

Re: [DISCUSS] Migrating to the New Incubator Website

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com>.
Hi all

Am .06.2017, 14:07 Uhr, schrieb Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@codeconsult.ch>:

> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 2:04 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 7:15 AM Bertrand Delacretaz <
>> bdelacretaz@codeconsult.ch> wrote:
>>> ...I have included
>>> JBake in a ./bin folder to make it easier for everybody to use the
>>> same version...
>
>> I ended up working with Gav to get 2.5.1 installed on jenkins slaves,
>> buildbot slaves are coming next.  Not sure if that's of interest to
>> you...
That would be great.

> Jenkins maybe, but the idea for me is to make it easy for contributors
> to run the website generation locally for creating content.
For my point of view, an automated build is better. Else you need to
install the tools every time first. If you jest have a small improvement,
you maybe don't do the change.

Regards, Raphael

Re: [DISCUSS] Migrating to the New Incubator Website

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 2:04 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 7:15 AM Bertrand Delacretaz <
> bdelacretaz@codeconsult.ch> wrote:
>>...I have included
>> JBake in a ./bin folder to make it easier for everybody to use the
>> same version...

> I ended up working with Gav to get 2.5.1 installed on jenkins slaves,
> buildbot slaves are coming next.  Not sure if that's of interest to you...

Jenkins maybe, but the idea for me is to make it easy for contributors
to run the website generation locally for creating content.

Anyway that was just a suggestion, and it looks like we're following
the same example anyway ;-)

-Bertrand

Re: [DISCUSS] Migrating to the New Incubator Website

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Hi,

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
It seems the discussion has died down.  I'm going to plan to finalize the
last few parts, make the jenkins job also build the legacy bits and move to
the new site sometime next week.

I'll drop a mail when I have the last of it staged and ready to go.

John

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I like the idea of focusing around the podling life-cycle.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Which navigation?  There's a header on top, similar to the top level www.

> 2) The code part has a syntax heightlighting. witch is not so nice if you
> have a simple text file. (a template for a E-mail for example.

Yeah, hm.  I think that's because I'm using asciidoctor's [source] instead
of [literal] but will check.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 3:51 PM Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From a UX point of view I would move the 'About The Apache Software
> Foundation' to below the lists of codlings.

Hmmm ok.  I'm not sure the text is relevant, and i'm not sure how much
people will scroll through the list of podlings (I included it to simply
mirror existing behavior).  I do think the whole header area needs a bit
more work.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
From a UX point of view I would move the 'About The Apache Software

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com>.