Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by neal <ne...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/26 19:26:48 UTC

creating virtual hosts - HOW TO?

I am attempting to create multiple discreet web apps, each of whom can
listen to their own URLs for page requests.  Here's an example of what I've
done for each webApp (virtual host):

	<Host name="www.hotel.us" appbase="webapps/hotel" debug="10">
		<Context path="/hotel" docBase="hotel" debug="10" />
	</Host>

 But, I am getting a 500 error with the message "No Context configured to
process this request".  It sees to be at least redirecting the requests for
the specified URLs correctly (away from the default webapp) ... but I'm
getting that darned 500 error ... dispite specifying the Context node.
grrr....

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Neal

RE: creating virtual hosts - HOW TO?

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
You can forward everything to the action servlet in struts and achieve your
objective.  Once again, look at struts, or maybe Jason Hunter's book on
servlets and the Model 2 architecture.  That is the key to what you want.

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
Look at struts.

Posted by neal <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Aah.  Good catch.  Yeah, you're right ... that's what its doing.  Alright.
I will definitely change that.

Cheers.
Neal

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, neal wrote:

> Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 11:15:17 -0700
> From: neal <ne...@yahoo.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>,
>      Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>
> Subject: RE: creating virtual hosts - HOW TO?
>
> Jacob,
>
> Cool thanks!  I just had to play with those settings  but in principal
> you're right on the money!
>
> Here's what finally worked:
>
>          <Host name="www.hotel.us" appbase="webapps/hotel" debug="10">
>                  <Context path="" docBase="" debug="10" />
>          </Host>

Note that this will cause your app to be deployed under context path
"/hotel" on the default host, in addition to being deployed as the root
webapp of the virtual host.  That's probably not what you want -- the
solution is to make the appBase of this host be someplace else.  Note that
you can use an absolute pathname for either appBase or docBase.

> Cheers!
> Neal

Craig

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
I'd try putting the appBase (not appbase !!!) for your virtual host
somewhere *other* than the "webapps" subdirectory -- that is just going to
cause confusion for the default host.

Second, the docBase directory for a <Context> is resolved relative to the
directory of the parent appBase, so you'd end up looking for this webapp
in $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/hotel/hotel.

Craig