Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Patrick McGloin <mc...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/12 09:39:28 UTC

Spark Structured Streaming resource contention / memory issue

Hi all,

We have a Spark Structured streaming stream which is using
mapGroupWithState. After some time of processing in a stable manner
suddenly each mini batch starts taking 40 seconds. Suspiciously it looks
like exactly 40 seconds each time. Before this the batches were taking less
than a second.

Looking at the details for a particular task most partitions are processed
really quickly but a few take exactly 40 seconds:

The GC was looking ok as the data was being processed quickly but suddenly
the full GCs etc stop (at the same time as the 40 second issue):

I have taken a thread dump from one of the executors as this issue is
happening but I cannot see any resource they are blocked on:

Are we hitting a GC problem and why is it manifesting in this way? Is there
another resource that is blocking and what is it?

Thanks,
Patrick