Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Peter Verhage <pe...@ibuildings.nl> on 2000/09/25 17:12:46 UTC

Apache and Tomcat

First of all, there is no cocoon.war file in the Cocoon 2.0 CVS
download, there is a webapp dir, and if I copy that one to the tomcat
webapps dir it seems to work if I connect to Tomcat at port 8080. But if
I use mod_jk to make Tomcat work with Apache I just get to see the
directory content, and not the welcome screen etc. I think that's
because of a configuration fault in WEB-INF but I really don't know what
I'm talking about :)

I hope this isn't the wrong mailinglist for this question... :/

Peter

--
Peter Verhage       <pe...@ibuildings.nl>
ibuildings.nl BV - information technology

Re: Apache and Tomcat

Posted by Jakob Schwendner <wa...@ndrmobil.de>.
"Peter C. Verhage" wrote:

> Ok, thanx I will do that :)
>
> : As you are using the latest CVS tree one should mention that you have to
> : use the CVS version of Tomcat 4.0 (aka catalina) to make cocoon get to
> : work.
>
> I don't think that's entirely true, because I've got it to work with Tomcat
> 3.2 beta 4. If I use Tomcat as a webserver (not as a module for Apache
> Server) I can connect at port 8080 and everything seems fine
> (http://localhost:8080/cocoon/welcome) :). What I did was just copy the
> directory webapp (renamed it to cocoon) to TOMCAT_HOME/webapps...

well, actually i don't know exactly. Thats only what i have heard about
the latest cvs version. (some earlier posting of stefano). But if you
got it to work with tomcat 3.2b even better :)

> : You will find catalina in the jakarta-tomcat cvs under proposals.
> : If you get catalina to work, and build cocoon with the dist.war option
> : on catalinas home all you have to do is start catalina to see the
> : welcome page of cocoon (at localhost:8080/cocoon). No config of WEB-INF
> : needed.
>
> That seems great but, I checked Catalina already, and I did not find any
> documenation, source or whatsoever that indicated that Catalina can work as
> or with a module in Apache Server. Is this possible? (It's important for our
> "old" pages, because then we can still use PHP and it's much faster for
> static pages that way).

Hm... i did not find any ajp12 connector in catalina and i dont really
know whether there is one in development. You may get more information
about that in the tomcat mailing-list.

> : The hard part about it is getting catalina to work. It took me some
> : little modifications on the build.xml and stuff to get them to work all
> : together. Once you have done that installation of cocoon shouldnt be too
> : dificult.
>
> Can you e-mail these modifications? Or can they be found in the mailinglist
> archive? I can't check that right now, because the mailinglist archive seems
> broken to me (it does not work as nice as a few days ago, when you could
> search the archive).

yap, the mailing-list archive is really poor for such a big project...
i will mail you my jakarta-tomcat dir privatly. (too big for mailing
list)

jakob

Re: Apache and Tomcat

Posted by "Peter C. Verhage" <pe...@zeelandnet.nl>.
jakob wrote:
: you have to build that cocoon.war to make it apear :) if you look in
: build.xml you will get more information about how to do it. It is simply
: an ant target which does nothing more than packing the cocoon classes as
: well as the depending libs into one file, which is unpacked again in the
: tomcat webapps folder.

[...]

: hope that helps,

I think it will :) Thank you.

Peter

Re: Apache and Tomcat

Posted by WAS Online <wa...@ndrmobil.de>.
Peter Verhage wrote:

> First of all, there is no cocoon.war file in the Cocoon 2.0 CVS
> download, there is a webapp dir, and if I copy that one to the tomcat
> webapps dir it seems to work if I connect to Tomcat at port 8080. But if
> I use mod_jk to make Tomcat work with Apache I just get to see the
> directory content, and not the welcome screen etc. I think that's
> because of a configuration fault in WEB-INF but I really don't know what
> I'm talking about :)
>
> I hope this isn't the wrong mailinglist for this question... :/

you have to build that cocoon.war to make it apear :) if you look in
build.xml you will get more information about how to do it. It is simply
an ant target which does nothing more than packing the cocoon classes as
well as the depending libs into one file, which is unpacked again in the
tomcat webapps folder.
As you are using the latest CVS tree one should mention that you have to
use the CVS version of Tomcat 4.0 (aka catalina) to make cocoon get to
work. You will find catalina in the jakarta-tomcat cvs under proposals.
If you get catalina to work, and build cocoon with the dist.war option
on catalinas home all you have to do is start catalina to see the
welcome page of cocoon (at localhost:8080/cocoon). No config of WEB-INF
needed.
The hard part about it is getting catalina to work. It took me some
little modifications on the build.xml and stuff to get them to work all
together. Once you have done that installation of cocoon shouldnt be too
dificult.

hope that helps,

jakob