Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2005/08/26 18:35:21 UTC

Re: [sa-list] Re: having spamc/spamd include hostname?

Re: [sa-list] Re: having spamc/spamd include hostname?

Posted by "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <da...@prime.gushi.org>.
On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Justin Mason wrote:

> Dan Mahoney, System Admin writes:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> How are you calling spamc ?  All of our simscan (for qmail) servers call
>>> spamc with the -u option, passing the full user@domain.com part.  We do this
>>> for about 500 different domains currently, all with their own preferences per
>>> domain and per user.
>>
>> Right now spamc gets the username from $>, i.e. there is no -u specified.
>>
>> I made this post to comp.mail.misc
>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.misc/browse_thread/thread/57a032d36d6d7142/b44ac792b3e77660#b44ac792b3e77660
>>
>> I made a similar post to the spamassassin users list.
>> Neither got a single response.
>
> That's a shame.
> I'm sure I saw this answered recently -- must have been another thread.
>
> Anyway, the upshot is, just fix your MTA to call spamc with the full email
> address as -u , e.g. "-u jdoe@hosta.com".

That was part of the question: How do I get that -u value in procmail?
Supposedly LOGNAME is unaffected by the dropprivs option.  Is it really
easiest to just call "spamc -u `id -n`\@`hostname` ?  If so, could someone
tell me that that actually IS the correct format for a .procmailrc before
I go hosing mail on a production system?

Right now spamc is being called from procmail with dropprivs so gets its
username from the current effective UID, which eliminates passing anything
at all.  What I was hoping for was a -h option in spamc so that one could
JUST specify the "host" portion, while username continues to be gotten in
this manner.

> If your MTA can't do this, but can pass the username and domain
> separately, create a 1-line shell script that calls
>
>  exec spamc -u $username@$domain
>
> instead.

Why use -u at all?  Why not just let spamd continue to automatically KNOW
by the calling UID for spamc.  This opens up to the possibility of users
running spamc -u someotheruser.

--

"Tonite on reboot!  People misspelling as many words with sexual
connotations as possible..."

-Keyo-Chan, February 10th 1999, Undernet #reboot