Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Alexander Saydakov <sa...@verizonmedia.com> on 2019/09/09 19:05:09 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache DataSketches-cpp (incubating) 1.0.0 [RC2]

Dear IPMC and Community,

This is a call for vote to release Apache DataSketches-cpp version
1.0.0-incubating

This is a C++ version of the DataSketches core library with Python bindings.

This is the first release of this component.

We are not going to release any artifacts besides the source code.

Results from the PPMC vote:
3 votes were cast. All of the votes were (+1). One of the votes was from a
mentor.
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/datasketches-dev/201909.mbox/thread

The release candidate:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/datasketches/cpp/1.0.0-incubating-rc2/

Source repository:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-cpp

Git tag for this release:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-cpp/releases/tag/1.0.0-incubating-rc2

The artifact has been signed with key:
pub  4096R/A8E8B4E0 2019-08-20 Alexander Saydakov (CODE SIGNING KEY) <
alsay@apache.org>
Fingerprint=40A2 47F6 1E8C 6C75 678C  69C5 6848 6114 A8E8 B4E0

The public signing key can be found in the KEYS file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/datasketches/KEYS

Changes from the RC1:
- added license to make files
- building and running unit tests does not require pybind11 (dependency for
Python bindings)
- better build instructions

This library was intended to be header-only, but this goal was not fully
achieved yet with CPC sketch code. This work is in progress.

Building and running unit tests requires CppUnit.

Installing CppUnit on OSX: brew install cppunit
Installing CppUnit on RHEL: yum install cppunit-devel

There are currently two ways of building: using existing make files and
generating make files using cmake. Exsisting make files might not work on
all platforms or with all C++ compilers. Generating make files using cmake
should solve this problem, but it currently requires cmake version 3.12.0
or higher that might not be readily available as a package on all platforms.

Installing the latest cmake on OSX: brew install cmake

Building and running unit tests using existing make files:
$ make
$ make test

Building and running unit tests using cmake:
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ cmake ..
$ make
$ make test

Building Python bindings requires cmake 3.12 or higher and pybind11.
Please see the following document for details:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-cpp/blob/1.0.0-incubating-rc2/python/README.md

This is the second stage vote. The vote will remain open for at least 72
hours and at least 3 (+1) IPMC votes or a majority of (+1) are acquired.

Please vote accordingly:
[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove with the reason

Thanks,
Alexander Saydakov
alsay@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache DataSketches-cpp (incubating) 1.0.0 [RC2]

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

@Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> thanks for the comments!

@leerho <le...@gmail.com> and @Alexander I'll help you about it.

Kind Regards,
Furkan KAMACI

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
The latest DS-java release reflects my understanding of what is required.

On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 11:39 AM Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Lee,
>
> Did you have a chance to target this?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Furkan KAMACI

From my cell phone.

Fwd: [VOTE] Release Apache DataSketches-cpp (incubating) 1.0.0 [RC2]

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lee,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
Like this:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-java/blob/master/LICENSE

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> In case you didn't get the attachments here are links to them:
>
> LICENSE
> <https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-java/blob/master/LICENSE>

If you look at the BSD license [1] you notice it includes a copyright line I would include that in the correct place in the license, rather than seperating it out. You might also want to consider taking the license text [2] and placing in a text point and point to that from the license.

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Alexander Saydakov <sa...@verizonmedia.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alexander Saydakov <sa...@verizonmedia.com>.
So do you propose to move it to the LICENSE or remove altogether?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Posted by Alexander Saydakov <sa...@verizonmedia.com>.

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

We are still a bit uncertain what you mean by "license information" in the
NOTICE file.

Are you suggesting to remove the two single lines:
Copyright (C) 1998-2019 CERN for the benefit of the LHCb and ATLAS
collaborations
and
Copyright (c) 2017 Benjamin R. Jack ?

The rest of the content in this file (after the first 8 lines), is
organized by license type and the text under each license type
is to help the user locate where in our release code we leverage code of
that license type and where the original source code is.  I don't consider
this location information as "license information".  It is just helpful
location information to the relevant code.

Thanks,

Lee.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alexander Saydakov <sa...@verizonmedia.com>.
Justin,
I would like to clarify a few things:
- As I understand it is fine to deal with this going forward in the master,
and we can proceed with this vote.
- You propose to add one line "Copyright (c) 2017 Benjamin R. Jack" right
after the header "MIT License" in the LICENSE file
- You propose to remove something from the NOTICE file. What exactly?
Headers with license types? Is this a legal concern or just to keep this
file as short as possible?
Thank you very much.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Alexander Saydakov <sa...@verizonmedia.com>.
> If some code license is unknown it's best to ask the author what is it,
or better still ask them to license it under a permissive license that’s
compatible with the Apache license. As well as the two items mentioned in
NOTICE you may also need to check the licenses of code in these files [1][2]

This has been already fixed in the master, but after this release candidate
was created.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-cpp/commit/0427232b9f6b34c3806223c06c3892028390c3c1
Thank you for your vote.

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

+1 from me! (binding - carrying my vote)

Kind Regards,
Furkan KAMACI

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 10:05 PM Alexander Saydakov <

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Gian Merlino <gi...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

- Tarball name is correct (project, version, "incubating").
- NOTICE, LICENSE, DISCLAIMER-WIP files are present.
- I didn't notice any LICENSE / NOTICE issues beyond what's already been
discussed in the thread.
- Verified .asc signatures and .sha512 checksums.
- git.properties is present and correct.
- Tarball contents match the expected git tag.
- Was able to build from source and run tests on macOS 10.14.6.

One file is missing a copyright header:

1) ./hll/include/hll.private.hpp

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 12:05 PM Alexander Saydakov <

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Gian Merlino <gi...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)