Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Paul Sutton <pa...@ukweb.com> on 1996/09/03 18:02:43 UTC

Re: Negotiation updates part II

On Fri, 30 Aug 1996, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, Paul Sutton wrote:
> > I don't really like the idea of having some variants with languages, and
> > others without. This implies that the variants vary on language, but what
> > language do we consider foo.txt to have? For each of the other dimensions,
> > a variant with no value in that dimension is ok (no content-type means use
> > the server DefaultType, no charset means use ISO-8859-1, no encoding
> > means, er, no encoding). Language is special because there is no default.
>
> Hmm. Point. On the other hand, it's possible. Let's say you have a
> page that basically says "under construction". You might have an image
> that has a person digging a little ditch. You might also have three
> different versions of the text "Under construction", in different
> langauges. foo.gif, foo.txt.en, foo.txt.fr, foo.txt.es. I think the
> code deals with this fine, but it's an example of some variants with
> languages and some without (a picture is worth a thousand words,
> remember).

Yes, good point.

> > Well, I think Roy actaully suggested that if Accept-Langauge: en-US was
> > received, then Apache should assume en; q=0.5. This might not be the best
> > idea, since the en-US might have a lower q value itself, or their might be
> > other languages with q's less than 0.5. I would prefer to give the
> > 'assumed' en a q of 0.0001 to guarantee that any explicitly listed
> > languages with any value q are going to be preferred. This is set in the
> > patch.
>
> Right. I would actually perfer somewhat that it use 0.01 or 0.001. The
> HTTP spec defines q-values as being to the thousanth place, and if the
> values ever need to be sent over the wire, they shouldn't get rounded
> to 0.

Ok, I've replaced 0.0001 with 0.001 (it was also used as the q value for
variants with no language when negotiating on language).

> Nah, that's okay. This seems to work. +1 on
> mod_negotiation.patch2 plus this patch, with #undef HOLTMAN and
> #define PREFER_NO_ENCODING (though I'm willing to waffle on that last
> one).

Right, hopefully final version uploaded to ftp.hyperreal.com. This is the
same as the previous patch, with three changes:

   HOLTMAN undefined
   Default q values of 0.001 instead of 0.0001 for encoding and language
   PREFER_NO_ENCODING code included, #ifdef..#endif removed

It is in /httpd/incoming/mod_negotiation.patch4. This is a patch against
the current CVS source (3 Sept).

As a reminder, this patch updates three files: mod_negotiation.c (most of
the work), httpd.h (300 and 506 statuses) and http_protocol.c (300 and 506
status messages, and handing 300 and 506 responses via
send_error_response).

Paul
UK Web Ltd

Re: Negotiation updates part II

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
Doesn't look like this got committed.  Looking over everything it appears this
is relatively uncontroversial - and it looks like it's gotten the proper
scrutiny by the HTTP cop and his sargeants.  :)  If Roy gives it a +1, I'll
concur with a +1; this seems like something that should accompany any claim of
HTTP 1.1 compliance, at least in spirit.  Though, at this point, we might want
to consider just leaving the Holtman stuff completely out of whatever we
distribute to the public, lest it end up accidentally in someone's browser and
then we have a support legacy to consider.

	Brian