Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Lukas Bradley <lu...@somnia.com> on 2005/01/07 23:01:28 UTC

[beanutils] BeanUtils.describe() and Lists of Complex Types

Forgive my ignorance, but I am attempting to use BeanUtils.describe() on
a custom object that contains a List of other complex objects.  My
getList() method is being described, but is only returning the
toString() value of my object.

For example, a list with two BeanSerializerData2Test objects produces
the following.

dataList=[p2p.io.BeanSerializerData2Test@b988a6,
p2p.io.BeanSerializerData2Test@ba6c83]

I would like for the objects within the list to be recursively described
as well, but can't seem to find a way for this to happen.

I thought writing and registering a custom Conversion class would work,
but that appears for objects being decoded, not encoded.

Is it possible to utilize the BeanUtils code to do what I want?  Or are
primitive/String lists the only options for now?

Thanks for any help.

Lukas