Posted to dev@clerezza.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2012/11/22 13:32:30 UTC

Graduating Clerezza - please indicate what your involvement would be

Hi,

Trying to summarize the recent discussions, my understanding is that
Clerezza consists of three different parts:

a) An RDF API with adapters and tools, used by Stanbol

b) An OSGi linked data platform and framework

c) Content management components (not sure about that part, maybe it's
all in b?)

Could people indicate which parts they are using, and which they
intend to at least maintain and/or continue developing?

As an incubation mentor, I'm trying to find out if graduating is a
viable option or if that would result in a mostly inactive project,
which is not good.

-Bertrand

Re: Graduating Clerezza - please indicate what your involvement would be

Posted by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>.
On 22 November 2012 22:32, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Trying to summarize the recent discussions, my understanding is that
> Clerezza consists of three different parts:
>
> a) An RDF API with adapters and tools, used by Stanbol

Stanbol seems to be the major application using these components.
Personally, the OpenRDF API, currently only implemented by Sesame,
suits my needs. I do not see a niche for the Clerezza RDF API compared
against the incumbent Java RDF/OWL libraries, namely Sesame, OWLAPI,
or Jena. I do not wish to rehash the discussions about advantages and
disadvantages of each, but it is clear that people are making
applications that work using those three libraries, even if they each
have their own unique defects.

My interest in extending Clerezza was to investigate changes necessary
to use it while experimenting with the Stanbol Ontology Manager
component to determine the steps that would be needed to use that
module from Stanbol as a POJO without OSGi. Unfortunately I was not
able to get the Stanbol Ontology Manager working outside of the OSGi
framework so I went with a custom solution after implementing a
Sesame-to-OWLAPI bridge.

Cheers,

Peter

Re: Graduating Clerezza - please indicate what your involvement would be

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
2012/11/22 Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@wymiwyg.com>

> > a) An RDF API with adapters and tools, used by Stanbol
> >

> Maintaining. Recently added support for Json-LD serialization (currently
> not in SVN but in JSon-LD-Project). Will add Sparql Fastlane support.

I am will work on JSON-LD for Stanbol and would be great to have this in
Clerezza. So I would contribute here.

- Fabian

--
Fabian
http://twitter.com/fctwitt

Re: Graduating Clerezza - please indicate what your involvement would be

Posted by Daniel Spicar <ds...@apache.org>.
Generally I am willing to maintain and develop Clerezza. Currently I am
mostly interested in storage adapters (as I am working on a distributed RDF
index for another project). I guess that is part of a)
If b) starts moving anywhere again I'm sure there's things that to do as
well but lately I mostly ignored this part due to lack of activity in
general. Therefore I have no pressing issues on my mind there.

One area I am particularly interested in (if we can keep the project going)
is to improve the workflow documentation and project structure to make it
more flexible (in particular: releasing of single modules should be somehow
solved that it works painlessly and can be done with reasonable effort).

However until spring 2013 I will be busy finishing my master's thesis so I
won't be able to do a lot until then.

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@wymiwyg.com>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
I'd be personally up to a) mostly, with a slightly minor commitment to b)
and the UIMA integration too.

Tommaso

Posted by Hasan Hasan <ha...@trialox.org>.
Hi all,

I will try to contribute to a). Thinking of tools for manipulating triples

regards
hasan

Posted by Tsuy Ito <ts...@trialox.org>.
Hi there

I am using a), b) and c). I want / (am able) to contribute to b) and c). Same view of c) as Reto (Dashboard/ Page-Editor/ Articlemanager /Digitalassetmanager should not be part of clerezza) but e.g. possibility to enrich resources with additional information.

I am planning to work in 2013 on a open data platform (IMO another buzzword for linked data platform) as for example described on http://www.guardian.co.uk/open-platform

cheers
tsuy

On Nov 22, 2012, at 1:32 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Trying to summarize the recent discussions, my understanding is that
> Clerezza consists of three different parts:
>
> a) An RDF API with adapters and tools, used by Stanbol
>
> b) An OSGi linked data platform and framework
>
> c) Content management components (not sure about that part, maybe it's
> all in b?)
>
> Could people indicate which parts they are using, and which they
> intend to at least maintain and/or continue developing?
>
> As an incubation mentor, I'm trying to find out if graduating is a
> viable option or if that would result in a mostly inactive project,
> which is not good.
>
> -Bertrand

--trialox ag-------------------------------------
  tsuyoshi ito
  hardturmstrasse 101
  8005 zuerich

Re: Graduating Clerezza - please indicate what your involvement would be

Posted by Sam Chance <sg...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good! This activity will be new to my company, but have have a
couple of great, young developers who will appreciate the opportunity to
help. Soon, we'll join the effort!

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Sam Chance <sg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Team,

My company, Inovex, may be interested in contributing to Clerezza.  I'll
consult with my folks and provide more definitive feedback ASAP. Suffice it
say, however, Clerezza, its goals, and its incorporation of OSGi technology
are supremely relevant to us, and I beloved the larger data integration
community.

Thank you!
Sam

Posted by Enrico Daga <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
I am involved in the Stanbol project and I wrote a Clerezza adapter for
Virtuoso [1] which I am happy to donate to the project (and maintain).
I like the Clerezza core API and I would like the project to be successful,
but apart from this little contribution I cannot guarantee a strong
involvement right now (I am going to change my "employer" in the coming
period).

best,
Enrico

[1]
https://github.com/enridaga/clerezza-virtuoso/tree/master/clerezza-virtuoso

--
Enrico Daga

--
http://www.enridaga.net
skype: enri-pan

Re: Graduating Clerezza - please indicate what your involvement would be

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 03/12/12 08:29, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
>> <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> ...Could people indicate which parts they are using, and which they
>>> intend to at least maintain and/or continue developing?...
>>>

>> Thanks for all the comments in this thread - it looks to me like
>> Clerezza can graduate as is.
>> I've started the discussion, on the private list, as to who should be
>> its PMC chair.
>>
>> -Bertrand
>>

> It would be a good sign to complete the 0.3 release started in August. (I
> checked the release thread and found 2 +1's and a +0 and then it seems to
> have stopped.)

I suggest to do the changes proposed by Florent to dependecy management
first, so that we would have a release branch without sources that do not
belong to the release.

Cheers,
Rrto

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.