Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Roland Schwingel <Ro...@onevision.de> on 2003/10/13 08:51:19 UTC

Strange error while doing stress test

Hi....

I tried the following test on 2 linux svn servers both with svn 0.31.0 and
berkeley db 4.0.14.
One machine is single cpu and the other is dual cpu. Starting point is an
empty freshly created repository.
The script checks out the repository and adds a folder for each machine it
runs on to the repository
containing a single file where the current date is endlessly added and
checked in again. Afterwards
an update of the whole repos is done. All this endless.

#!/bin/sh
REPOS="http://server/svn/test"
TESTDIR="/tmp"
SUBDIR="torture"
TESTFILE="afile"

COUNT=0
MYHOST=`hostname`

echo "Remove old stuff"
rm -rf $TESTDIR/$SUBDIR

echo "checkout from test repository"
cd $TESTDIR
svn co $REPOS $SUBDIR

cd $SUBDIR
# create machine subdir if not existant
if [ ! -d "$MYHOST" ]; then
      echo "Creating machine subdirectory..."
      mkdir $MYHOST
      svn add $MYHOST
      svn ci -m "Created dir for $MYHOST"
fi

cd $MYHOST
# create testfile
if [ ! -f "$TESTFILE" ]; then
      echo "Creating testfile"
      date >"$TESTFILE"
      svn add "$TESTFILE"
      svn ci -m "Added testfile"
fi

#endless test
cd $TESTDIR/$SUBDIR
while ( true );do
      COUNT=`expr $COUNT + 1`
      echo "################################Loop #$COUNT"
      echo "Add a line to a testfile"
      cd $MYHOST
      date >>"$TESTFILE"
      svn ci -m "Added current date"
      cd ..
      echo "Update all"
      svn up
done

This script runs on 4 machines. 2 linux boxes and 2 windows 2000 boxes with
cygwin svn client.
I get these error messages from time to time on both linux and win2000
clients and with both servers

Add a line to a testfile
svn: Baseline incorrect
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn:
The specified baseline is not the latest baseline, so it may not be checked
out.

What does this mean? Couldn't find anything like that in the mailing list
archive...

Thanks,

Roland

Re: Strange error while doing stress test

Posted by Roland Schwingel <Ro...@onevision.de>.

Hi...

Thanks for your reply...

> > Add a line to a testfile
> > svn: Baseline incorrect
> > svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> > svn:
> > The specified baseline is not the latest baseline, so it may not be
checked
> > out.
> >
> > What does this mean? Couldn't find anything like that in the mailing
list
> > archive...
>
> This is a mod_dav_svn error string, reporting that you are trying to
> modify (well, CHECKOUT in the DAV-sense, to be precise) an out of date
> resource.  You can probably expect to see this kind of error any time
> a commit from a client B happens in the middle of client A's commit
> process.
>
> It's a little confusing because DAV's notion of a "checkout" is not
> the same as that of a Subversion client.  A CHECKOUT request is sent
> as a way for the client to tell the server, "I'm about to start making
> modifications to this path."

What are the effects on me (what I mean is repository/working copy)
when getting this? Is now something broken? Is something inconsistent
after that? Is this really an error or more a warning?

If it is an error or has bad effects what can be done against that?

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.