Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Ian Cook <ia...@ursacomputing.com> on 2021/10/27 02:07:16 UTC

Arrow sync call October 27 at 12:00 US/Eastern, 16:00 UTC

Hi all,

Our biweekly sync call is tomorrow at 12:00 noon Eastern time.

The Zoom meeting URL for this and other biweekly Arrow sync calls is:
https://zoom.us/j/87649033008?pwd=SitsRHluQStlREM0TjJVYkRibVZsUT09

Alternatively, enter this information into the Zoom website or app to
join the call:
Meeting ID: 876 4903 3008
Passcode: 958092

Thanks,
Ian

Re: Arrow sync call October 27 at 12:00 US/Eastern, 16:00 UTC

Posted by Nic <th...@gmail.com>.
Meeting notes below

Attendees:
Nic Crane
Jonathan Keane
Eduardo Ponce
Niranda Perera
Benson Muite
Micah Kornfield
Joris Van den Bossche

- Update on release - the vote passed and post-release tasks are in
progress.  The R package has been submitted to CRAN and resubmitting
shortly as a few updates were needed.
- Verification tests don't include R - why is this?  Were before but may
have been removed. We have coverage on CI.  May be due to complexity. Can
add if necessary.

- Discussion about performance with hash aggregations vs. flat arrays -
Niranda will send something to the mailing list when more concrete details

- Ongoing work by Eduardo around adding vectorising to scalar kernels, have
design doc, hope to share with mailing list soon. Also looking at working
with bitmaps - something for counting consecutive 1s and 0s and how to take
advantage of this. Related to simd. Some existing tools/utilities which do
this were discussed.

- There was a past discussion about moving Python C++ to Python directory
structure - is this still happening? Nobody is currently working on this,
but Voltron Data are interested in it.  Not worry about merge conflicts at
the moment though