Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Prabhav11 <pr...@timelink.com> on 2011/07/15 17:24:11 UTC

Saving a recorded script for future use.

Hi all,

I recently started using JMeter and am amazed at it's flexibility. I have
recorded a script with 3 threads for 3 users with different login
credentials and checking the response times on my web application. Now, I
need to use the same script but for 10 to 15 thousand users with different
login credentials. I have around 5 servers and over 10,000 desktop machines
to test that script all hitting the web servers. I need to know the response
times for all of them when they login simultaneously.

I think remote testing might do it, but the problem is the script will have
to be modified each time with a unique username and password for that
particular user. Is there a way in which we can save the recorded script
(Along with the Proxy Server settings) and provide all the users with that
script so that they can enter their username and password and run the script
via JMeter installed on their desktops?

Looking forward to your suggestions and ideas. Thanks in advance!

Re: Saving a recorded script for future use.

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.
The proper strategy would (probably) be:

1. Create the Test Plan that retrieves the credentials
(username/password) from a local (CSV) file
2. Deploy Jmeter and proper (CSV) data files to the load inducing
machines (a couple thousand desktops? Doesn't sound easy).
3. Run Jmeter on all load inducers in the Jmeter Server mode.

Then you can run the test at will (in theory) using a dedicated Jmeter
Client. Note that with thousands of Servers, you will very likely cause
link congestion between the Servers and the Client.

In practice, you may get better results by using a pre-made Jmeter In
The Cloud solution and deploying a couple hundred (if so many) cloud
instances to do the work for you.

HTH,
Felix

Re: Saving a recorded script for future use.

Posted by Oliver Lloyd <ol...@hotmail.com>.
Would that not perhaps negate the need for a performance testing tool? Why
don't you just ask the 10,000 users to login manually and tell them to count
how long it takes and email you the results?

(By the way, this is a ridiculous idea - for one, I somehow suspect these
10,000 people have better things to do! - but, with all respect, my idea is
actually better than the one you suggested, installing JMeter on 10,000 PCs,
telling each person to edit the file and then run it, is just...a very, very
bad idea indeed.).