Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ronaldo Juliatto <ro...@compsisnet.com.br> on 2002/09/19 19:49:22 UTC

Tomcat 4.1.10 install

Hi, fellows

I installed Tomcat 4.1.10 on a machine with Windows NT 4.0 and JDK 1.4.1.
The installation was ok. The first thing I wanted to do was to see the
examples from the main page. The servlets examples worked fine, but the JSP
examples gave answers like the one I reproduce below for the NumberGuess
example:

HTTP Status 500 -
type Exception report
message description The server encountered an internal error () that
prevented it from fulfilling this request
exception

<< follows a lot of class debugging logs >>

root cause

An error occurred at line: 11 in the jsp file: /jsp/num/numguess.jsp

Generated servlet error:
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file
D:\tool\Apache Group\Tomcat
4.1\work\Standalone\localhost\examples\jsp\num\numguess_jsp.java:7: package
num does not exist
import num.NumberGuessBean;
           ^
D:\tool\Apache Group\Tomcat
4.1\work\Standalone\localhost\examples\jsp\num\numguess_jsp.java:44: package
num does not exist
      num.NumberGuessBean numguess = null;
         ^

An error occurred at line: 11 in the jsp file: /jsp/num/numguess.jsp

Generated servlet error:
D:\tool\Apache Group\Tomcat
4.1\work\Standalone\localhost\examples\jsp\num\numguess_jsp.java:46: package
num does not exist
        numguess = (num.NumberGuessBean)
pageContext.getAttribute("numguess", PageContext.SESSION_SCOPE);
                       ^

An error occurred at line: 11 in the jsp file: /jsp/num/numguess.jsp

Generated servlet error:
D:\tool\Apache Group\Tomcat
4.1\work\Standalone\localhost\examples\jsp\num\numguess_jsp.java:49: package
num does not exist
            numguess = (num.NumberGuessBean)
java.beans.Beans.instantiate(this.getClass().getClassLoader(),
"num.NumberGuessBean");
                           ^
4 errors

<< more class debugging logs >>

It happens to all the examples. IMHO, I think that the JSP compiler can't
find the classes it needs. I installed the full 4.1.10 release, not the LE
release. Could this interfere with the compiler? I don't think so, because
the next slot developer did the same on a similar environment and everything
went ok. The Java configuration in my machine seems ok. Would any of you
have any clue about what could be wrong with this installation?

Best regards, and thanks in advance...

Ronaldo Juliatto