Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by "Wilkins, Craig" <cw...@akamai.com> on 2001/09/17 16:47:41 UTC

Literal Encoding

We have several Java clients that leverage our Apache SOAP services.  We
currently have some clients that are under development with Perl and SOAP
Lite.

Our SOAP Services all use Literal Encoding and we have input parameters of
type org.w3c.dom.Element and we also return an Element.  Will this be an
issue if the clients are not Java and are using other SOAP implementations?

Re: Invoke a Apache Soap web server from a browser

Posted by Aron Vaughan <JV...@austin.rr.com>.
Hey Tomas,

take a look at WSUI ( http://www.xml.org/xml/resources_focus_wsui.shtml --
basically a W3C web service UI description specification, that creates
dynamic Web portlets for services.  Part of the spec allows invocation of
services from the web service description -- it's pretty new though).  Also,
you can create a servlet and plug the client code in the servlet ( so you
invoke the web service from the servlet ),

thanks,
HTH,
Aron Vaughan.

Re: A way to see the actual Soap message

Posted by Aron Vaughan <JV...@austin.rr.com>.
Hey Thomas,

look in the user's guide under "Using Transport Hooks" :

(from user's guide)
Using Transport Hooks
Some extensions to the Apache SOAP framework necessitate the ability to
interact with the SOAP envelope just after it comes off of the wire, or just
before a response goes out. To facilitate this type of interaction, Apache
SOAP provide the ability to insert pluggable transport extensions into the
runtime. The current instantiation of these transport extensions in the
Apache SOAP framework are known as Envelope Editors.

You can also write your own rpcrouter servlet ( like tha apache soap router
servlet ), that dumps the raw data to a a log/screen before converting it to
Call/Parameter objects....

thanks,
HTH,
Aron Vaughan.

Posted by ParamDeep Singh <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

you can use TcpTunnel to view the SOAP messages.

if you have soap.jar in your class path, and the SOAP server and client are
on the same machine, then simply use:

java org.apache.soap.util.net.TcpTunnelGui 4040 localhost 8080

and point your client to send the request to port 4040.

for more information you can see the Apache SOAP user guide.

Regards,
Paramdeep.

Posted by Shoaib <sh...@npi.stpn.soft.net>.
You can use the utility provided with Apache SOAP implemetation TcpTunnel

Regards
Shoaib

Posted by Shoaib <sh...@npi.stpn.soft.net>.

Posted by Acz�l Csilla <ac...@freemail.hu>.
There is an org.apache.soap.transport.TransportMessage class in soap.jar.
Just add a System.out.println(new String(bytes)); at the end of the constructor. This prints the POST HTTP
request body.

Csilla

Re: A way to see the actual Soap message

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@bigpond.net.au>.
Have a look at the TcpTunnelGui.  The syntax is

java org.apache.soap.util.net.TcpTunnelGui 8088 otherhost 8080

where 8088 is the local port for it to bind to, otherhost is the name of
teh host to redirect to, and 8080 is the port on the other host.

hth
dim

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@bigpond.net.au>.

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@bigpond.net.au>.
There was an article on Javaworld some time ago about invoking a SOAP
service from javascript.  This would enable you to work entirely client
side.

I think this is the article:

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-03-2001/jw-0330-soap.html

cheesr

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@bigpond.net.au>.

Re: "Offline" Generic SOAP client

Posted by Radovan Janecek <ja...@idoox.com>.
Try Idoox WASP Lite http://www.idoox.com/products/wasp_lite/index.html.

You can run Java (or C++) Web Services on your notebook in super simple way.

You can:
1) invoke web services from browser (WASP for JavaScript) and trace their
communication
2) invoke web services within NetBeans (or JBuilder) and trace their
communication
3) use file pluggable transport that can 'simulate' network connection and
thus run clients without any web services running on your laptop.

WASP complies with SOAP 1.1 and WSDL 1.1.

Sincerely

Radovan

Radovan Janecek
VP, Engineering, Idoox, Inc.
http://www.idoox.com

Posted by "Christoph C . Cemper @ Cemper.com" <ch...@cemper.com>.
Rebecca,

thanx for your tip.

I tried the tool and it plays well for some simple things.

But just as it could be expected I would need something to handle the
complex input-types as well. Soapclient.com for instance is able to do so.

The standalonge Iona-Tool helped me a little, but it needs

	- much better errorhandling for WSDL-parsing (not just a simple
	  nullpointer-exception-dump)
	- complex-input-type
	- "not just nothing returned" if there is a
	   complex-output-type defined

Overall, it is not really a good subsitute for the Soapclient.com, and
generating code all the time is a hassle if you actually have to get a
WSDL right...

Maybe another approach - do you know of a WSDL-designer ? I do not mean
a generator, but some tool that has the wSDL-compliance and doesn't let
me "model" wrong WSDLs.