Posted to dev@gossip.apache.org by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/22 15:31:08 UTC

[Discuss] rename Apache Gossip to Apache Consensus

I am sure the infra team with love this idea :):

Thinking about the direction of Gossip. This is currently the message on
our front page:

Apache Gossip

Apache Gossip™ is a system to form peer-to-peer networks using the gossip
protocol.

Thinking about the bigger picture... We are looking to add SWIM, we are
looking to add CRDT. In the future we might have some type of leader
election, or multicast based cluster membership.

I am borrowing a notion that Gary brought up in the early days of the
proposal with the term "toolkit". Here is my new idea:

Apache Consensus

Apache Consensus is a distributed services toolkit that includes clustering
technology like peer-to-peer membership services like gossip and data
primitives like distributed CRDT data types.... bla bla.

What does everyone think? This is no immediate need here, but I think the
re-brand is more inline with there we are headed and more interesting to
attract development. Comments and other suggestions are welcome.

Re: [Discuss] rename Apache Gossip to Apache Consensus

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 5:55 PM, Русак Максим <ma...@yandex.ru> wrote:

> [...]
> algorithms like Paxos and Raft with a strong consistency. Apache gossip
> project maybe will include these algorithms someday, but it's not the only
> purpose.
>
> (I'm not a native speaker, but it means that a lot of non-native people
> could have the same associations after reading technical literature :)
>

> 23.02.2017, 01:01, "Edward Capriolo" <ed...@gmail.com>:
> > On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 4:49 PM, P. Taylor Goetz <pt...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >>  Before going though the pain of a rename, I would suggest checking with
> >>  trademarks@ to make sure the name “Apache Consensus” is suitable
> (i.e. a
> >>  PODLINGNAMESEARCH JIRA would be approved).
> >>
> >>  You don’t want to rename, only to have to rename again.
> >>
> >>  -Taylor
> >>
> >>  > On Feb 22, 2017, at 10:31 AM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com
> >
> >>  wrote:
> >>  >
> >>  > I am sure the infra team with love this idea :):
> >>  >
> >>  > Thinking about the direction of Gossip. This is currently the
> message on
> >>  > our front page:
> >>  >
> >>  > Apache Gossip
> >>  >
> >>  > Apache Gossip™ is a system to form peer-to-peer networks using the
> gossip
> >>  > protocol.
> >>  >
> >>  >
> >>  > Thinking about the bigger picture... We are looking to add SWIM, we
> are
> >>  > looking to add CRDT. In the future we might have some type of leader
> >>  > election, or multicast based cluster membership.
> >>  >
> >>  > I am borrowing a notion that Gary brought up in the early days of the
> >>  > proposal with the term "toolkit". Here is my new idea:
> >>  >
> >>  > Apache Consensus
> >>  >
> >>  > Apache Consensus is a distributed services toolkit that includes
> >>  clustering
> >>  > technology like peer-to-peer membership services like gossip and data
> >>  > primitives like distributed CRDT data types.... bla bla.
> >>  >
> >>  > What does everyone think? This is no immediate need here, but I
> think the
> >>  > re-brand is more inline with there we are headed and more
> interesting to
> >>  > attract development. Comments and other suggestions are welcome.
> >
> > Yes, that is a good point. I am not locked in on the word Consensus yet.
> >
> > I am suggesting a name that I believe properly represent the scope. I am
> > assuming we can hunt other synonyms if that one has TM issues. I want to
> > see if anyone believes my logic for expanding the scope of the name makes
> > sense, or if they believe it is more of a PITA than it is worth.

Good point. Convergence might be better than consensus. Although there are
different types of consensus like majority consensus. (I envision Gossip as
the cluster as a hole coming to consensus about the state of each system.)

Good point about non-native speakers. I think we would break this into a
stages:
stage 1) take suggestions
stage 2) pick favorite
stage 3) decide if we like it so much we want to go through the effort of
the change

I would like to leave stage 1 open for a couple weeks and see if something
really jumps out at us.

Re: [Discuss] rename Apache Gossip to Apache Consensus

Posted by Русак Максим <ma...@yandex.ru>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.