Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Lev Gelfer <le...@db.com> on 2001/05/08 17:58:12 UTC

Returning XML String

     I wouldn't have any issues returning the Element back from the Service if I was in pure Java world, but my client is VB, so VB expects XML String. Any ideas on how to stop Apache from converting the String and substituting all < > with &lt and &gt?

Lev Gelfer

--

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

RE: Returning XML String

Posted by Magnus ?or Torfason <ma...@handtolvur.is>.
It would seem to me that this would be expected behaviour.  That is:

The java String "<" would be encoded as "&lt;" and then decoded at the
receiving end, back to "<".

The java String "&lt;" would be encoded as "&amp;lt;" and then decoded at
the receiving end, back to "&lt;".

The java String "&amp;lt;" would be encoded as "&amp;amplt;" and then
decoded at the receiving end, back to "&amp;lt;".

And so on.  So doesn't the burden lie on the VB client to correctle decode
any letters that have to be escaped in the transmission, so that the
transmission becomes legal SOAP xml.

Just my $.02

Re: Returning XML String

Posted by Tom Myers <to...@dreamscape.com>.
At 10:58 AM 5/8/2001 -0500, Lev Gelfer wrote:

>      I wouldn't have any issues returning the Element back from the Service if I was in pure Java world, but my client is VB, so VB expects XML String. Any ideas on how to stop Apache from converting the String and substituting all < > with &lt and &gt?

I would be really astonished if the JScript example I just posted
didn't work the same way in VB. The service thinks it's returning
an Element, so it sends exactly the XML you want. If it doesn't
work, please let me know.

Tom Myers

Re: Returning XML String

Posted by Tom Myers <to...@dreamscape.com>.